Difficult gears and whining...

Low N' Slow

Hi all, I have a 53 plate mk2 Arosa. I sometimes struggle to get my car into gear, other times its lovely. Reverse is particularly fiddly! My mechanic took the gaiter off and had a look inside. It all looks like its moving fine at the bottom, and nothing looks out of place. We wondered if the problem is where the stick moves through the structure near the top? Is this a common fault? It's a 1ltr petrol. I've also noticed a whine over the past couple of weeks or so, which speeds up with acceleration and slows down when I do, so I assume that's gearbox related? The whine isn't too loud but enough to notice. Also, my clutch seems to have a stiff point about half way down with the occasional squeak. Any help would be appreciated!

Soft milk chocolate, not some hard as nails dark stuff either.

If the whine matches speed then it's probably the diff, or output shaft bearings, those boxes have a very prone to failure bearing on the end of the output shaft.

Thank you for your replies all :) ironically I'm currently sat here eating chocolate whilst I read your replies.... lol.

I'm really hoping I can have the parts replaced rather than buying a new gearbox! I'd like to drive it but I'm not 100% sure if its best to at the moment?

I presume the pedal is sitting where it should, its about the same height as the other pedals :)

13 hours ago, john70 said:

I know its a different box but in our TDI the syncro went on 2nd to 3rd, I got a 2nd hand box EXB code for £180 new clutch and release bearing, its tight but I fitted it all myself

My tdi is doing exactly the same. A slight crunch going into 3rd from 2nd when cold. If I change carefully then it's ok.

i have just picked up an EBX box for when it finally lets go.

Edited by wehey

Thank you all :) I will have my mechanic check the diff and output shaft bearings! Whilst he's there, are there any other things I should ask him to check just to make sure? I was hoping my problem was down to gear linkage or something :mellow: lol!

Also, are there any other cars or Arosa models that have stronger gearboxes that would fit? I'm not so keen on a replacement box second hand or maybe even brand new if they are made poor, to be honest! I know they are cheap to run, just didn't expect to be having to sort the gearbox out :P

Thanks again all!

On 25/01/2016 at 5:27 PM, Low N' Slow said:

Thank you all :) I will have my mechanic check the diff and output shaft bearings! Whilst he's there, are there any other things I should ask him to check just to make sure? I was hoping my problem was down to gear linkage or something :mellow: lol!

Also, are there any other cars or Arosa models that have stronger gearboxes that would fit? I'm not so keen on a replacement box second hand or maybe even brand new if they are made poor, to be honest! I know they are cheap to run, just didn't expect to be having to sort the gearbox out :P

Thanks again all!

I think you can fit a 1.4 box on a 1.0. No idea if it's stronger, but the 1.0 is known to be ****.... so just saying like.

or just buy an SDI ;)

Haha cheers for your reply dude! I wonder if the 1.4 gearbox may be stronger, I haven't seen anyone really complain much about the 1.4 boxes (though that's not what ive been looking for so may well be the same and I just haven't read that lol) 

I looked for months for a diesel arosa first, I researched for months and learnt they are definitely a preferred option!! But the price for a decent one with a million miles on the clock was way above my budget sadly lol :blink: 

Ideally I would like to uprate the parts in the gearbox without having to pay to have the box taken out, sent off, refurbished etc.... and a second hand box would be a chance to take, and may be just as crap lol. Im very surprised there isn't much that can be uprated on the arosa as a whole? I'm not looking to engine swap on mine, just hopefully make the gearbox stronger so it lasts to be honest lol :lol:

If its worst case scenario and the box has had it, I know ill just have to replace the box. I'm just trying to learn as much as possible before my mechanic takes a look, so whatever the condition is, I can decide what to have done there and then, and get the job done and sorted quicker :)

Also....I found a gearbox thread on here last week and asked what box is in mine, I was told mine is an 085, but have also read on other peoples comments it could be an 02j EXB. I guess I could just call my local Seat dealership and quote my reg and they can tell me?

I really appreciate all your help on here! You are all a nice bunch :thumbup:

The diesels are definitely the preferred option if you ask me. Both SDI and TDI have very solid gearboxes, the SDI shares the same box as the old Polo, and the TDI simply has a very well made gearbox if I remember rightly. 

It's definitely getting harder to find a good SDI (or TDI for that matter). I bought mine with 92k miles on for a thousand pounds back in 2013. It's now a few hundred miles away from 160k miles. There hasn't been a huge amount of maintenance either, just standard wear and tear items (shocks blew a year or so ago). Absolute bargain bangernomics if you ask me though.

The problem is as well, people are realizing that both the SDI and TDI are desirable (more so the latter) and are slapping pretty offensive price demands, although this one is a pretty good price if you ask me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/51-REG-Volkswagen-Lupo-1-7SDI-S-DIESEL-PX-TO-CLEAR-ONLY-30-A-YEAR-ROAD-TAX-FSH-/151948213264?hash=item2360d1bc10:g:6pgAAOSwa-dWlXc4

As is this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Lupo-1-7SDI-2002MY-S-79mpg-30yr-tax-cheap-insurance-/272068185730?hash=item3f58870e82:g:7bgAAOSwQiRUqrdq

Anyway, back to your topic. The 1.4 is a better box from what I know. There is some sort of design fault with the 1.0 gearbox that's been spoken about on here before. I think it's something to do with the height of one of the oil gallery's (please someone add some more context to my post because I'm struggling to remember specifics) being near the top of the box, which means if you weep any gearbox oil (say via the selector seal), less oil will make it out the top gallery and we all know what that results in.

I'm absolutely sure you can fit a 1.4 gearbox and that would be a better option. I'm not sure you can really uprate the 1.0 internals, because it's a design fault. If you want to make sure you 1.0 gearbox continues to run, you change the selector seal regularly and keep the gearbox oil fresh. Change it once a year, it's easy enough to do, but remember if you don't fill up to the line, you'll kill your box. That's the fun side of chocolate gearbox ownership ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Sorry for my late reply, I have finally got it sorted! :thumbup:

I've had the shaft selector seal replaced, and fresh oil. The whining has gone for now, so hoping the new oil has sorted that lol...

Turns out my problem with selecting gears was the linkage bushes. They had gunked up big time! He has cleaned it all up for now and we are going to see how they go, otherwise I will have those replaced too. It feels lovely to drive! I've really missed driving it to be honest lol. Thanks again for all of your help, lovely bunch! :thumbsup: