Lupo GTI Alignment after coilovers

THE_NORTON

Hi fellow lupo owners,

If you can get past my introduction then I have a question, after lowering my gti on jom coilovers it seems to just be wandering at speed and not self centering correctly, I know this is normally a caster issue, can this be put right or do I need new bushings to correct for this? Or would a shed load of negative camber cause the same issue?

Thanks

My GTI was a complete bitch to set up on JOM front coilies, mainly because there is little or no adjustment on the shock where it bolts onto the hub. I bought some camber adjustment bolts off ebay, but even they didn't help much. In the end I got my mates garage to set it up, they used some M10 bolts and lock nuts on the top so that it could be adjust enough to give -1degree camber, and she drives ok now. However, the JOMS are a temporary measure on mine (just to get it through an MOT!), I'm saving up for better ones, either KW's or AP's.

11 minutes ago, lupogtiboy said:

My GTI was a complete bitch to set up on JOM front coilies, mainly because there is little or no adjustment on the shock where it bolts onto the hub. I bought some camber adjustment bolts off ebay, but even they didn't help much. In the end I got my mates garage to set it up, they used some M10 bolts and lock nuts on the top so that it could be adjust enough to give -1degree camber, and she drives ok now. However, the JOMS are a temporary measure on mine (just to get it through an MOT!), I'm saving up for better ones, either KW's or AP's.

cheers for the reply man, they are what they are... cheap lows. I thought they had a bit of adjustment as they have ellipse holes but suppose there no help if they give u extra negative camber, did you have to change the caster ect...?

If you slammed it low then the steering toe in / out will probably be altered as well, add on top your excessive neg camber and you will be twitchy and wandering all over the shop.

Make sure the camber is equal and not excessive and get your tracking checked.

Mine handled light a bag of crap after fitting them, my JOMs didn't seem to have the elipse holes which didn't help things! I had so much negative camber, every bump pulled the car across the road, really dangerous. I am pleased to say she handles much better now, but I'm not all that happy with having JOMs on it, like you say, you get what you pay for. I will probably buy some AP's as that is what I did have fitted, but 65k miles took their toll on them! Mine is not low at all, probably about 30mm lower than standard, I set mine so that the tyres sit level with the arch.

25 minutes ago, lupogtiboy said:

Mine handled light a bag of crap after fitting them, my JOMs didn't seem to have the elipse holes which didn't help things! I had so much negative camber, every bump pulled the car across the road, really dangerous. I am pleased to say she handles much better now, but I'm not all that happy with having JOMs on it, like you say, you get what you pay for. I will probably buy some AP's as that is what I did have fitted, but 65k miles took their toll on them! Mine is not low at all, probably about 30mm lower than standard, I set mine so that the tyres sit level with the arch.

yeah I will be looking to upgrade to ap's in the future, did the car need anything else to get the joms aligned?

The garage used some M10 bolts and lock nuts instead of the factory M12 bolts on the top hole on the shock, this allowed them to adjust the camber to around -1degree. That was the only way they could get any adjustment, though I guess you could make the holes on the shocks more ellipsoid with a file.

I recently fitted some 30mm lowering springs after snapping one of the stock front springs. 

I roughly set up the camber myself and then took it to have the tracking done. 

Both front wheels were toeing out by 5 degrees, which explains the terrible handling and vagueness at high speeds. 

• 1 month later...
On 2016/1/20 at 4:53 PM, lupogtiboy said:

AP's product for Lupo gti.....only GF80-045??

ap-sportfahrwerke-lupo-6es-gti-09-00-gewindefahrwe.jpg