Changing Stock Stereo in 2004 Lupo 1.0 for Aftermarket Stereo

Hello good fellow Lupo Heads!B)

I recently got my first car (about 4 months ago), which is a basic 2004 Lupo 1.0, nothing to fancy but still a charm & love it more & more each day! 

...Anyway, to cut to the chase Im hankering after a nice new stereo & a set of decent replacement speakers for the doors, all within a good budget - say no more than £250. ...Please forgive me and my lack of knowledge on both cars & fitting stereos etc but I could really do with some help/advice on how I would go about changing the stereo & what will/won't fit, & what I will need to buy etc for it to work & look in good shape?

...Im certain I want a stereo with built in cd & bluetooth but not to sure yet as to go for a single or double din unit (as I believe my lupo can accommodate either, having a stock vw beta radio & stock vw single cd player underneath). I have my eyes on getting a Sony MEX-N5100BT (as a replacement to the stock beta radio) then a pocket underneath (as a replacement to the stock cd player). I just want some feedback on how I would go about creating this set up in my car &/or if it would actually work?:unsure: I have to admit I'm a little on the fussy side so would like it to look nice & not bulge out from the dash to much.

Am I right in saying I could replace the stock radio for the Sony MEX-N5100BT as is, then simply replace the stock cd player with this pocket underneath the stereo:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271891048751?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Would really appreciate any advice/help!

Cheers Matt.

Not sure of the pocket as my car already had a aftermarket radio, but the radio will suit fine as I've just fitted a MEX-N6001BD as they were on special at halfords, only thing to note was with my install the supply live and the igniton live are reversed so had to swap the yellow and red around on the adaptor loom. all on bullet connectors so was easy

Yes the cd player can be replaced with that pocket, I have one I have taken out of my Lupo that I will happily send you for £5 posted.Not sure if it really matters, but the original one has ventilation holes on the top (which sits below radio) - might help stop radio overheating.  

How to change -either buy some radio keys, but to be honest this isn't necessarily. Find some moderately thin but sturdy plastic, cut it down to two longish rectangles (make sure the width is thin enough to fit into the two slots either side of the radio unit), push these into the two slots you'll see vertically on the front of the radio, and pull. Should come straight out.

As mentioned you'll need a wiring adapter to get the aftermarket one to work, i think some units come with this, otherwise you can find one on eBay for not a lot. You also should switch the red/yellow wires.

Replacing the OEM stereo is the best way to enhance your audio quality. Replacement speakers tend to be disappointing, unless you're willing to invest good money in a set of good components. If you are, then fair do. If you're hoping a set of £30 Vibe's from Halfrauds will do it, they won't, you'll be really gutted, trust me.

...Anyway, to cut to the chase Im hankering after a nice new stereo & a set of decent replacement speakers for the doors, all within a good budget - say no more than £250. ...Please forgive me and my lack of knowledge on both cars & fitting stereos etc but I could really do with some help/advice on how I would go about changing the stereo & what will/won't fit, & what I will need to buy etc for it to work & look in good shape?

Changing the stereo is easy. Remove  the old one, radio keys or cut up credit card, wiring loom and you're sorted pretty much. Lupo is universal DIN sizing so you'll have no problem getting a good aftermarket radio for it.

...Im certain I want a stereo with built in cd & bluetooth but not to sure yet as to go for a single or double din unit (as I believe my lupo can accommodate either, having a stock vw beta radio & stock vw single cd player underneath). I have my eyes on getting a Sony MEX-N5100BT (as a replacement to the stock beta radio) then a pocket underneath (as a replacement to the stock cd player). I just want some feedback on how I would go about creating this set up in my car &/or if it would actually work?:unsure: I have to admit I'm a little on the fussy side so would like it to look nice & not bulge out from the dash to much.

Well, if you're not sure about whether you want single or double DIN you need to decide what you actually want. I like double DIN, but I also like a screen and built-in sat nav which I use on a regular basis. I would love to have a single DIN though, because I loved the cup holders when they were in the car. They were brilliant. 

The pockets are pretty useless, but there we go. I'm sure you could make something with it I guess.

Am I right in saying I could replace the stock radio for the Sony MEX-N5100BT as is, then simply replace the stock cd player with this pocket underneath the stereo:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271891048751?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yeah pretty much.

Wow thank you all (Mobiesus_UK, cj1, skezza) so much for the very useful info! Much appreciated. Didn't expect so many replies within such a small period of time from posting!

Now I feel a bit more insured its actually possible for me to do this myself, (think I overwhelmed myself a little at first with all the different leads/adapters/parts etc on the market).

...Going to cut myself some removal keys with an old credit/gift card (that part should be easy). 

Probably going to go ahead and order the Sony MEX-N5100BT as Ive found one new for £90. ...Is it correct I will also need to purchase the following two parts in order for it to work: PC5-90 & PC2-69-4 (if not already supplied with the new stereo). Then I simply switch the red/yellow wires on the PC2-69-4 Harness & away I go? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160694780672?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC2-69-4-VW-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-LUPO-PASSAT-ISO-LEAD-HEADUNIT-HARNESS-ADAPTOR-CAR-/160661595191?hash=item25682d6437:m:muisyqLIZtmzt6wYgHQVkeg

...So now I know the pocket I was after will indeed fit, will the new stereo itself require any additional facia/surround for it to sit flush in the dash? &/or do they come with that sort of thing? Or not even necessary? ...(You can tell I new to all this right! Ahaha)

Thank you all again for the great help & guidance, please keep it coming if you find the time, cant stress how much I appreciate it!

22 hours ago, cj1 said:

Yes the cd player can be replaced with that pocket, I have one I have taken out of my Lupo that I will happily send you for £5 posted.Not sure if it really matters, but the original one has ventilation holes on the top (which sits below radio) - might help stop radio overheating.  

That would be fantastic! Is the one you have the original? If so as long as its in nice condition I'll certainly have it! ...Does it sit flush with the rest of the dash or do these things stick out like a sore thumb? Cheers! 

1 hour ago, Skezza said:

Well, if you're not sure about whether you want single or double DIN you need to decide what you actually want. I like double DIN, but I also like a screen and built-in sat nav which I use on a regular basis. I would love to have a single DIN though, because I loved the cup holders when they were in the car. They were brilliant. 

The pockets are pretty useless, but there we go. I'm sure you could make something with it I guess.

Think Im set on Single DIN to be honest. I love the look of the doubles but in my view unless I buy a touch screen I don't see any advantage over a single din & extra space. I don't need a satnav as I recently bought one, so I would be wasting money on tech I don't need if i was to go for a double din ...Though a bit boring I do like the idea of the pocket to put a phone/ipod in etc whilst driving, especially if connected to bluetooth. My Lupo also has a cup holder in the centre console & yes they are great! 

Cheers!

25 minutes ago, MadMatt26 said:

...So now I know the pocket I was after will indeed fit, will the new stereo itself require any additional facia/surround for it to sit flush in the dash? &/or do they come with that sort of thing? Or not even necessary? ...(You can tell I new to all this right! Ahaha)

I'll send you a picture later on of the pocket bit, it's in good condition. The radio usually sits flush with the dash, one slight issue I had was that with the adapter harness, the wiring is quite large and can often get wedged behind the radio causing it to stick out.. however using your hand you can push it over the plastic edge (You'll see what I mean) and hide the adapter blocks at the back left if this is causing any issues.

Most head units come with a metal 'cage' like thing which it sits in in the DIN slot, then a fascia edge to make it look neat! So I'd say everything you need for physically fitting will come with it, not sure on the harness though. 

1 hour ago, Skezza said:

Replacing the OEM stereo is the best way to enhance your audio quality. Replacement speakers tend to be disappointing, unless you're willing to invest good money in a set of good components. If you are, then fair do. If you're hoping a set of £30 Vibe's from Halfrauds will do it, they won't, you'll be really gutted, trust me.

Im pretty lost on the speakers so far. I've been aiming to replace the stereo first then move onto the hunt for a decent fair of speakers.  

I read in another thread that the Lupo has 16cm stock speakers, is that correct & if so do I need to buy 16cm or can I get away with 16.5/17cm speakers? 

I thought about a pair of Alpine SPR-60 coaxial (or the SPR-60C Component versions), preferably the coaxial as they're cheaper & easier to fit.

Don you know if these are any good by any chance? ...If not do you have any recommendations for a good pair of speakers for say no more than about £150?

I found a pair of the SPR-60 coaxials online for about £90 new, however it says 17cm on the site & I wondered if these would fit or not? 

Cheers.

1 minute ago, cj1 said:

I'll send you a picture later on of the pocket bit, it's in good condition. The radio usually sits flush with the dash, one slight issue I had was that with the adapter harness, the wiring is quite large and can often get wedged behind the radio causing it to stick out.. however using your hand you can push it over the plastic edge (You'll see what I mean) and hide the adapter blocks at the back left if this is causing any issues.

Most head units come with a metal 'cage' like thing which it sits in in the DIN slot, then a fascia edge to make it look neat! So I'd say everything you need for physically fitting will come with it, not sure on the harness though. 

Great, thanks very much. ...Ive read about the harness sometimes getting in the way & causing the stereo to be a bit of a sod to slide in fully.

Heres a pic of my centre dash incase its any help to anyone. 

Cheers.

IMG_8855.jpg

4 minutes ago, Skezza said:

Shift the wiring down the side edge and you'll be fine.

Yeah that's what i meant , was struggling for a way of describing it so went for "plastic edge"! 

The speakers are 6.5" / 16.5cm. 

1 hour ago, cj1 said:

The speakers are 6.5" / 16.5cm. 

Right, thanks.

Do you think these will fit? Would it be tricky & need to be adapted?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-SPR-60-SPR60-300-watts-17cm-2-way-coaxial-car-speakers-Alpine-TypeR-/111846602284?hash=item1a0a93b62c:g:FY0AAOSwcOFWaVau

...Would I need to mount them onto these to fit: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Lupo-speaker-adapter-pods-Front-Door-17cm-6-5-fitting-rings-adaptors-/160909065952?hash=item2576ed7ee0:g:c-8AAOSwLVZV2ycc

If so is there anywhere I can get cheaper ones that do the same thing? These seem a bit pricey for what they are.

Cheers!

Edited by MadMatt26

You can make them yourself easily enough.

Personally, I'd fit a new stereo before jumping to buying some new speakers, you might surprise yourself just how good the OEM speakers are. Those Alpines are £124 and I can put a tenner on that they'll only be marginally better. They're co-axial after all. 

If you're going to do it, you need to do it right, i.e. expensive component speakers.

If not, stick with OEM and you'll be alright ;)

2 minutes ago, Skezza said:

You can make them yourself easily enough.

Personally, I'd fit a new stereo before jumping to buying some new speakers, you might surprise yourself just how good the OEM speakers are. Those Alpines are £124 and I can put a tenner on that they'll only be marginally better. They're co-axial after all. 

If you're going to do it, you need to do it right, i.e. expensive component speakers.

If not, stick with OEM and you'll be alright ;)

Yes Ive heard about making the spacer mount things yourself with a bit of mdf, however Ive also heard that mdf is bad as it absorbs moisture so its better to use plastic. 

...Do you recon if I was to go for the component versions of the Alpine SPR-60 (the Apline SPR-60C), they would be a good improvement for the money? Ive found them for the same price as the coaxial versions here:

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-alpine-spr-60c_p-27160.htm?gclid=CMfci5rdkMoCFZadGwod4yILfw

What you think? & will they actually fit ok?

Cheers!

I wouldn't use MDF myself. Metal or plastic with the correct padding should do it. 

Well the only problem with component is you need to understand how to fit them. It's a tad more complicated than coax. Still, it's easy enough. 

There's enough guys on this forum though to explain the installation though. I've not done it myself but not an overly difficult task.

If you're really desperate for top notch sound quality then yes, components are key. 

Have you thought about buying an amp?

1 hour ago, Skezza said:

I wouldn't use MDF myself. Metal or plastic with the correct padding should do it. 

Well the only problem with component is you need to understand how to fit them. It's a tad more complicated than coax. Still, it's easy enough. 

There's enough guys on this forum though to explain the installation though. I've not done it myself but not an overly difficult task.

If you're really desperate for top notch sound quality then yes, components are key. 

Have you thought about buying an amp?

Yes thats initially why I wanted to go for a pair of coaxial speakers, simply because they're easier to fit, & I read they can be just as good. However there is not much point in me wasting my time & money if you think there not going to be much better than the OEM speakers. ...I could probably figure out how to fit some components, I just don't want it to look tatty when finished, & I certainly don't fancy having amps & things lying around the rest of the car, hence why I'm staying away from getting an amp. 

Only part I'm unsure about with the components is where to locate the the tweeters & the crossover part within the car? ...There are small speakers in each top corner of the dashboard (next to corners of the windscreen beside the door frame), are these where I would put the tweeters? If so how easy is that to do?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, MadMatt26 said:

Yes thats initially why I wanted to go for a pair of coaxial speakers, simply because they're easier to fit, & I read they can be just as good. However there is not much point in me wasting my time & money if you think there not going to be much better than the OEM speakers. ...I could probably figure out how to fit some components, I just don't want it to look tatty when finished, & I certainly don't fancy having amps & things lying around the rest of the car, hence why I'm staying away from getting an amp. 

Only part I'm unsure about with the components is where to locate the the tweeters & the crossover part within the car? ...There are small speakers in each top corner of the dashboard (next to corners of the windscreen beside the door frame), are these where I would put the tweeters? If so how easy is that to do?

Cheers.

I'm not 100% on where the best place to put speakers would be, but removing them tweeters is really easy, just prise the cover off with a thin screwdriver and out pops the tweeter from what I remember, just cut the VW connector off and crimp on some spade connectors, job done!

13 hours ago, MadMatt26 said:

Yes thats initially why I wanted to go for a pair of coaxial speakers, simply because they're easier to fit, & I read they can be just as good. However there is not much point in me wasting my time & money if you think there not going to be much better than the OEM speakers. ...I could probably figure out how to fit some components, I just don't want it to look tatty when finished, & I certainly don't fancy having amps & things lying around the rest of the car, hence why I'm staying away from getting an amp

Cheers.

Then you really should stick to the OEM speakers, imo.