door speaker & upgrades

edt

Hi - I've had the factory head replaced with a nice DAB Pioneer with USB - love it. Next I'd like to improve the speakers. No after an extra amp. 

Is there no point just replacing the door speakers without upgrades the dash (tweeters?) as well?

Saying that not 100% sure anything comes out from the dash.. need to test!

Is it 6" units for the door? Seem to be getting different opinions online some say 6", some say 6.5"

Car is a 1.7SDI colour concept. No rear speakers. 

Cheers guys

1 hour ago, Skezza said:

Colour concept.... Very nice. Heated seats and air con?

6.5 with adapters. 

No aircon but yes to heated seats.  Useful this time of year as leather..  Cold first thing but soon  gets roasting 

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I don't see the point in upgrading just the speakers. The factory speakers are very good when it comes to just being ran from the head unit. Say you have a 45w head unit, it's only ever going to output that much, and even with the best speakers in the world it might not sound any better, particularly if you're looking for volume, it will only get distorted higher on. In my first Lupo I had some JBL GTO speakers (can't remember the exact name) with a planet audio amp, and a pioneer head unit, and it sounded brilliant.. So when it came time to get the Lupo I have as a rally car now, I bought another set of the same speakers and ran them initially off the standard HU, then an aftermarket one; I wish I'd have kept the factory speakers as they sounded much quieter and were seriously lacking compared to the standard ones. 

IMO you'd be better off running an amplifier to the standard speakers in place of aftermarket speakers, or even better amp-+ speakers 

Cj1 is of course spot on. A £15 set of speakers will sound dreadful compared to OEM.

You need to spend money to improve the sound. Do it on the cheap, you'll be disappointed.

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2016 at 11:23 PM, cj1 said:

Personally I don't see the point in upgrading just the speakers. The factory speakers are very good when it comes to just being ran from the head unit. Say you have a 45w head unit, it's only ever going to output that much, and even with the best speakers in the world it might not sound any better, particularly if you're looking for volume, it will only get distorted higher on. In my first Lupo I had some JBL GTO speakers (can't remember the exact name) with a planet audio amp, and a pioneer head unit, and it sounded brilliant.. So when it came time to get the Lupo I have as a rally car now, I bought another set of the same speakers and ran them initially off the standard HU, then an aftermarket one; I wish I'd have kept the factory speakers as they sounded much quieter and were seriously lacking compared to the standard ones. 

IMO you'd be better off running an amplifier to the standard speakers in place of aftermarket speakers, or even better amp-+ speakers 

OK understood. Please point me at a good (& budget friendly) amp in that case. It's not really volume, but better quality I'm looking for. Spend a lot of time in the car!