"Switchback" DRLs

tom01997

Edit: Sorry I typed a lot! :innocent:

So about a month back I ordered some of those "Switchback" indicator bulbs that work as DRLs normally, and then when you flick the indicator on, the DRL switches off and it flashes orange as you'd expect, sort of like on the new Audi's.

There are some on eBay here. I got the ones with the bayonet fittings on the end so I can use the original bulb holders to connect to the indicator plug, save splicing in another wire.

Now they are supposed to just fit in the existing lenses. But as ever with universal things, they're never really universal. They foul the reflectors inside the lens. :censored:

I decided that I would make them fit. I could have just taped them in, but that's not the proper way, is it? :rolleyes:
After measuring up the original bulb holder, I modeled up a new holder in CAD to fit the new bulbs, and sent the files off to be 3D Printed in Nylon. Here's the result;
Clicky
The black O-Ring is taken off the original bulb holder.
Just like magic, the new holders fit pretty well and so far, I haven't had any condensation or water in the lens. If anyone does this and wants the files send me a PM.

Then it was just a case of wiring them up. Didn't get any photos of this really - it's just a relay set up using 2 changeover relays as follows;
The indicator wires just plug in to the original bulb holders. This leaves an exposed connection so I used some silicone sealant from Halfrauds to stop it getting wet.
Clicky
Basically, if the ACC is on, the DRLs are on. Unless the sidelights are on. This means the parking lights still work as normal when the key isn't in the ignition.
This diagram should of course work for all DRL's.
I haven't put pin numbers on there but if you don't get it read this.

The final result looks like this in the dark. Course, they shouldn't be on at night because the sidelights/headlights will be on. :tongueout:
Clicky
I'm quite happy with the result. I'm sure i've noticed less people pull out on me now, and less peds step out in front of me. That is, if they look...

Quick video when I was done;

https://youtu.be/fzWqpBl731E

Yes it's dark but you get the point - they're bright.

Oh, I noticed under the scuttle panel, by where the cabin filter should be (and all the leaves end up), there's a two pin plug that isn't used on my car. It has a blanking plug on it. It carries a 12v ACC current and what I *think* is a switched earth - heated washer jets? I've used the ACC current from this to save wiring to the column because i'm a lazy sod.

So far haven't seen any problem, but would anyone advise against this?

Let me know what you think!

Regards, Tom.

I'm very interested in the 12v switched current under the scuttle panel.

You got a photo of this?

Although it's a quirky mod, can't say I'm too fond of it myself. I've never been a fan of DRL and it's quite funny that lots of people who don't have DRL's are desperate for them on their cars (i.e. the Lupo) while most people I know who have DRL's are desperate to disable them.

Edit:

That said, I do think it looks pretty neat. Something a bit different for sure ;)

Thanks Clayton, like I say you're welcome to the files if you need them, not sure if the indicator holder is different on GTI though.

I'm not by the car at the mo but I can do for you later Skezza.

The way I see it, there is EU legislation for DRLs saying they improve safety, plus it gives me something to do with all this free time I have as a student :thumbsup:

On the contrary, blinding DRLs are something I resent, but I found these to be dim enough to not burn one's retinas out in the daytime.

Thanks Clayton, like I say you're welcome to the files if you need them, not sure if the indicator holder is different on GTI though.

I'm not by the car at the mo but I can do for you later Skezza.

The way I see it, there is EU legislation for DRLs saying they improve safety, plus it gives me something to do with all this free time I have as a student :thumbsup:

On the contrary, blinding DRLs are something I resent, but I found these to be dim enough to not burn one's retinas out in the daytime.

So do yours not come on at night then?

Clicky
Here's the plug I mentioned. Meant to ask, where might I find the correct plug for this?

Didn't want to lop it off the end of the wires in case it is important.

Just off shot there is a fuse also. Honest!

At the moment it's just some pins soldered onto the wires and then taped in place.
I tried using the blanking plug to make up a new plug but it was a bit hit and miss and I stuffed it up.

So do yours not come on at night then?

The AA says they shouldn't, from some UN/EU legislation that i'm not trawling through again. Besides, surely it's common sense? DAYtime running lights? I don't understand why some people run them at night, they must like the idea of blinding people coming towards them.

Clicky
Basically, if the ACC is on, the DRLs are on. Unless the sidelights are on.
Edited by tom01997

• 10 months later...

intereested in seeing the actual wiring on this as I wouldnt mind doing this myself have you considered selling a kit ? with the 3d printed Holders and wiring done so simpletons like me an just plug and play ? 

Have considered it but would be hard to actually make money on to be honest, and not everyone likes them - USDM kits seem more popular at the moment.

I haven't got them fitted anymore unfortunately so I can't get you any photos, I rushed fitting them and the wiring needs a good tidy up. When I refit them, i'll take some photos if you're interested.

There's a diagram I drew to try and explain the relays a bit better as that's probably the most difficult part - here.  

The pin numbers are written on the relays to make life easier. You want two 'changeover' relays.

If you want to get the little holders printed, the STL file for printing is here. Dimensions are in mm - I used 3DHubs to get them printed in Nylon so they're nice and strong, but ABS would probably work ok. Make sure it's a "HD" print though, as some parts of the holder are fiddly and some printers won't be able to do it. 

On 15/10/2016 at 3:00 PM, tom01997 said:

Have considered it but would be hard to actually make money on to be honest, and not everyone likes them - USDM kits seem more popular at the moment.

I haven't got them fitted anymore unfortunately so I can't get you any photos, I rushed fitting them and the wiring needs a good tidy up. When I refit them, i'll take some photos if you're interested.

There's a diagram I drew to try and explain the relays a bit better as that's probably the most difficult part - here.  

The pin numbers are written on the relays to make life easier. You want two 'changeover' relays.

If you want to get the little holders printed, the STL file for printing is here. Dimensions are in mm - I used 3DHubs to get them printed in Nylon so they're nice and strong, but ABS would probably work ok. Make sure it's a "HD" print though, as some parts of the holder are fiddly and some printers won't be able to do it. 

Rare that you make money on any mods though really?