Arosa 1.4 tdi on the rolling road

RachB

Just found the footage of my Arosa on the rolling road at ADE Tuning, Lower Darwen. I had it Economapped/ custom remapped with these guys. They ran it on the rolling road to find out what power it was already making, which was 72bhp, only losing 2bhp in 13 years :lol: . It was a custom remap that they wrote for my car and I was able to wait and watch. Final figure was 102bhp, they said I could have more but it would be smokey and I didn't want that.

https://youtu.be/819-xWmMUgM

• Like 2

I can't find my original rolling road print out but I did have this on my phone. It was always nippy and quite torquey but now it is amazing and brilliant fun to drive. The only problem is now that the car would appear to be invisible to all other car users who like to pull out in front of me etc.

rach_zpstksrkfzl.jpg

That was about 4 years ago by previous owner, i bought it as a bit of a shed for £250 back in June and it isnt on the road yet. Previous owner had spent £££s on it as he used it form some for of eventing or something. It has full history, Koni shocks, eibach springs, (Not sure of the drop it might be 50mm) Tarox front brakes, rear anti roll bar, SS exhaust (loud) among other things so a must have bargain me thinks.

It's still a shed and will never win any beauty contests, but i will be MOTing it very soon then tinkering as on ongoing project. I'm hoping to make more power out of it. I'll very likely be running 13" wheels as Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s with ET25 fit with no problems (I bought a single ex display one to test). I think I'll wait till it's on the road though and I can tell if the brakes are up to the job or need 280mm upgrade or not. I have a stud conversion to fit now as well, so it will have wheels studs and nuts instead of bolts.

I havent driven it beyond 1st and reverse but did take it for a very brief naughty drive a week or so back just to get up thru the gears and see what it went and stopped like, felt laggy and then power, the power band is a bit far up the rev range for my liking. The brakes were ****, seized rear cylinder didnt help.

I bought an mpps lead to dump and load ecu files, but the map on mine seems custom made and appears useless for further DIY tuning. I'll buy a spare tdi ecu and mess with that instead as I'd like earlier power delivery and more torque.

Edited by Sausage

I have a sneaky feeling that my tdi has already been mapped. I have 2 other cars that are supposed to be 75hp and the tdi will walk all over them.

What are the characteristics of an unmapped car compared to a mapped car?

My power begins to kick in around 1750 and it just keeps on pulling well upto 3000-3250. Does it sound mapped to you?

I have a sneaky feeling that my tdi has already been mapped. I have 2 other cars that are supposed to be 75hp and the tdi will walk all over them.

What are the characteristics of an unmapped car compared to a mapped car?

My power begins to kick in around 1750 and it just keeps on pulling well upto 3000-3250. Does it sound mapped to you?

Mine was always really torque and nippy before my remap, now I have to check that i'm in 5th gear. Think I need a 6 speed box :lol: Get it on a rolling road and see what it pulls.

That was about 4 years ago by previous owner, i bought it as a bit of a shed for £250 back in June and it isnt on the road yet. Previous owner had spent £££s on it as he used it form some for of eventing or something. It has full history, Koni shocks, eibach springs, (Not sure of the drop it might be 50mm) Tarox front brakes, rear anti roll bar, SS exhaust (loud) among other things so a must have bargain me thinks.

It's still a shed and will never win any beauty contests, but i will be MOTing it very soon then tinkering as on ongoing project. I'm hoping to make more power out of it. I'll very likely be running 13" wheels as Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s with ET25 fit with no problems (I bought a single ex display one to test). I think I'll wait till it's on the road though and I can tell if the brakes are up to the job or need 280mm upgrade or not. I have a stud conversion to fit now as well, so it will have wheels studs and nuts instead of bolts.

I havent driven it beyond 1st and reverse but did take it for a very brief naughty drive a week or so back just to get up thru the gears and see what it went and stopped like, felt laggy and then power, the power band is a bit far up the rev range for my liking. The brakes were ****, seized rear cylinder didnt help.

I bought an mpps lead to dump and load ecu files, but the map on mine seems custom made and appears useless for further DIY tuning. I'll buy a spare tdi ecu and mess with that instead as I'd like earlier power delivery and more torque.

Wow! You really got a bargain there!

All ive done to mine is lower it on coilovers put some BBS split rims on and paint the roof black.

It's an awesome car that I have owned since 2007 and with road tax at £30per year he's not going anywhere soon :wub:

The brakes on my TDI are far far better than on my GTI lupo, although you wont get 13 inch wheels over the standard brakes, 14 inch only adn 15 inch if you go 280mm

although you wont get most 13 inch wheels over the standard brakes,

Fixed that for you, TD pro race 1.2 13x7 et 25 fit perfect, no spacers needed. :thumbsup:

Higher offsets will cause issues with the strut bolts touching on the wheel rim me thinks in which case spacers will be needed.

With the extra torque, have you noticed any clutch slip?

I was wondering if the torque on mine was kept lower to preserve the gearbox / clutch myself.

My original clutch started slipping on my Golf GT TDI 130 when it was mapped to 182bhp.

That said, it would have lasted for many years if I hadn't had the remap.

I'm not sure if the Arosa/Lupo TDi's use a generic Sachs clutch which is found in 1.9 TDi models. Someone may know.

With the extra torque, have you noticed any clutch slip?

I was a bit concerned with the extra torque but it has been fine. It was remapped about a year ago now and I've not had any problems and it's still the original clutch :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, .jamie. said:

I've had mine mapped for years and the clutch didn't slip, it did eventually die half way up a hill but think that was more down to age then torque so I wouldn't worry

What sort of mileage did your clutch go at?