Loopy the 1.4

myles983

ok, thanks. Pictures will come up when I've sorted a few other things out, priority being the clunking on full lock :angry2:

CV Joint probably.

CV Joint probably.

Possibly, but I've read other threads where people are replacing everything from CV's to arbs to drop links and the like, only to find the clunking still occurs. Dont want to spend money only to find its not helped at all, and as far as ive researched, there's no actual fix for it. And if people have, theyve not said how they did it :rant:

Edited by myles983

Alright, so I have a list of 14 tasks, all of which i want to have done by September next year.

Just a quick question:

LED stop and tail lights. Are there any special requirements for them? I know the incandescent standards use two filaments, and i was curious as to how this would work with an LED. My first thoughts would be a resistor somewhere in series with the LED.

Anyone got any ideas with this?

Edited by myles983

Alright, so I have a list of 14 tasks, all of which i want to have done by September next year.

Just a quick question:

LED stop and tail lights. Are there any special requirements for them? I know the incandescent standards use two filaments, and i was curious as to how this would work with an LED. My first thoughts would be a resistor somewhere in series with the LED.

Anyone got any ideas with this?

Yes I do. If you want my opinion, I would avoid stop/tail LED's. I've found them to be hit and miss for two reasons:

1. There has to be a significant lumens step between tail and stop otherwise drivers behind are unable to see whether you've put your brakes on. Some of them simply switch a few more LED's on which isn't enough. There needs to be a concerted effort and for that you'll spend good money.

2. I did spend good money on a pair with CREE elements from a decent seller and unfortunately, they failed very quickly. I'm still not 100% sure why. Maybe I just got a bad pair.

If I was to recommend any to you, right now, it would be these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-RED-1157-380-BAY15D-3W-Q5-LED-Car-Stop-Tail-Brake-Light-Bulb-Lamp-12V-UK-/371291857990?hash=item5672b82446:g:tXoAAOSwEeFVFR8F

At Ā£4.25, I may try them myself.

Yes I do. If you want my opinion, I would avoid stop/tail LED's. I've found them to be hit and miss for two reasons:

1. There has to be a significant lumens step between tail and stop otherwise drivers behind are unable to see whether you've put your brakes on. Some of them simply switch a few more LED's on which isn't enough. There needs to be a concerted effort and for that you'll spend good money.

2. I did spend good money on a pair with CREE elements from a decent seller and unfortunately, they failed very quickly. I'm still not 100% sure why. Maybe I just got a bad pair.

If I was to recommend any to you, right now, it would be these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-RED-1157-380-BAY15D-3W-Q5-LED-Car-Stop-Tail-Brake-Light-Bulb-Lamp-12V-UK-/371291857990?hash=item5672b82446:g:tXoAAOSwEeFVFR8F

At Ā£4.25, I may try them myself.

See, I thought that if you were going to include a resistor in series, then it'd have to be significant enough to provide a clear difference between the light and braking, which might result in the tail light being dimmer than the standard incandescent ones in the first place. I looked at the ones with CREE elements, but couldn't understand what was different about them.

I was looking at these ones personally:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-RED-T25-S25-1157-BAY15D-P21-5W-Red-22-SMD-LED-Stop-Brake-Tail-Atuo-Light-Bulb-/400909654181?hash=item5d5813d8a5:g:cc0AAOSwNSxVPftO

I might buy both sets just to see how it all works.

DSC_1461_zps5msdq86l.jpg

Coming soon...

Oh, and my dad dropped an allen key in the engine bay, and i forgot to remove it before driving the 25 or so miles down the M54 back home :shifty:

Was still there this morning when i got up to go to work.

Edited by myles983

received_871747642920856_zpsjswr3ubo.jpe

Settled a bit since fitting the coilovers. Some minute changes coming soon.

Quick question: anyone know of anyone who does bodywork repair/modifications? Want to roll the arches before i get my new wheels and tires....

• Like 1