Exhaust emissions at idle excessive

Exhaust emissions at 2nd fast idle excessive

Lambda readings out of specified limit

Headlight aim too low nearside

Suspension arm rubber bush perished resulting in excessive movement

Brakes imbalanced across rear axle

Rear brake recording little or no effort offside

Rear parking brake recording little or no effort offside

The lambda problem has been fixed: a new lambda has been fitted. The brake issue was caused by the brake cylinder bursting and leaking brake fluid onto the drum, effectively lubricating the shoes and resulting in a lack of friction. This has been fixed now. The headlamp has been adjusted, and the rubber bush has been replaced, and those are now fine. All Im waiting to hear about now is that the CAT has been replaced and it passed preliminary emissions testing. Once thats done, she will go in for her retest :) the garage I have taken it to have been really helpful throughout this, and all in its cost just shy of £500, MOT and retest included. 

Mine failed last week on a broken rear spring! I didnt even notice it!:(

On 13 July 2016 at 4:34 PM, myles983 said:

Potentially. She just failed the MOT so it might be a while, but they need refurbing too, so i might have it done all in one go. Was thinking Anthracite Grey, or something similar. 

19 hours ago, Lewiss_Lupo said:

Mine failed last week on a broken rear spring! I didnt even notice it!:(

its annoying when you don't notice things like that. :/

Tonight I very nearly died. I lost power turning into an estate, with a bus coming in my direction. I lost the power steering, which oddly then restored and allowed me to narrowly miss hitting a wall as I'd swung out wide.

Pulling up outside my Nans, Loopy came to a chugging stop, before not wanting to turn over again.  

6 minutes ago, Silver! said:

Engine replacement? Do it yourself?

How difficult is an engine replacement ? I have some technical experience, but not a lot. 

Problem is with an engine replacement is that you could end up the same in a couple of months.

Done other cars, but never done a Lupo, but how hard can it be? label and mark everything you take off and return it to the same place.

If you have some skills is it not worth trying to change the head gasket yourself?

10 minutes ago, Silver! said:

Problem is with an engine replacement is that you could end up the same in a couple of months.

Done other cars, but never done a Lupo, but how hard can it be? label and mark everything you take off and return it to the same place.

If you have some skills is it not worth trying to change the head gasket yourself?

Thats what has been one of the main points when thinking about pros and cons to having it replaced. And I could try, but I dont know how to set the timing on the belts or anything after replacing it, as thats what I've heard will need to be done. 

You could always do the gasket change and then get a mobile mech. in to do the timing belts.

If you get hold of a MK4 VW Polo Haynes manual it should explain it and give you an idea if you can do it.

Come across a couple of weird things having stripped everything down:

Silicone in the oil

Bits of silicone in the air box

Oil in the inlet manifold, air intake and the throttle body

Things aren't looking too good...

So, after a full vacuum test, Loopy needs 8 new exhaust valves. Once this is done, hopefully the head can be skimmed, refitted to Loopy, and then she will be running again!

• 2 weeks later...