Dash insert painting

tom01997

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, LorraineC said:

Looks great ... Going to do the same to mine :)

how do the 3/4pieces come out?

The left heater vent

Approx. half way down either side there are clips that hold it in. Using a very fine flat head screwdriver, this just pops out. 

The Drivers side one

1. Remove light switch (Push in whilst turning it clockwise, then pull) 
  2. Disconnect wires off back of switch
  3. There is a T20 screw underneath where the switch would sit, remove that
  4. Remove T20 screw inside of where the light switch was. 
  5. Unit should begin to pull out
  6. Remove the wiring off the back of the dimmer part, this pulls out.

Center Pieces

1. Remove radio and any of the slots in there, leaving an empty double din slot.
  2. There are 3 T20 screws that need to be removed - 1 at the back in the centre , two at the very front of the trim on the inside edges. 
  3. Pull on trim piece, it will come out with a bit of gentle persuasion. 
  4. Remove indicator by pressing in the metal tabs you'll see around it.

The T Piece in the center

1. There isn't much of a "method" to this as such, as it's bonded/plastic welded in
  2. Use a small flat screwdriver and gradually break clips off, moving around the T piece until it freely lifts off

Hope the above helps! Taking the front fascias of the heater parts should be fairly obvious as well, there's little clips on the top and bottom holding them onto the vent mech part! 

Calvin

That's probably the nicest job I've seen on these. Without trying to offend, there's often a temptation to go for glossy shiny colours and they end up looking Barry Boy. That looks really smart. OEM colour concept in fact.

Top job Calvin.

7 minutes ago, Skezza said:

That's probably the nicest job I've seen on these. Without trying to offend, there's often a temptation to go for glossy shiny colours and they end up looking Barry Boy. That looks really smart. OEM colour concept in fact.

Top job Calvin.

I think they've done particularly well to do it with an aerosol as well! I got mine done by a body shop in the end back when I did mine, as you say it can easily look terrible! 

Edited by cj1

2 minutes ago, cj1 said:

I think they've done particularly well to do it with an aerosol as well! I got mine done by a body shop in the end back when I did mine, as you say it can easily look terrible! 

I do tend to avoid saying it when I think it, but I've seen a few (on here and elsewhere) and I do cringe. There's a fine line between classy and barry. I've seen some gorgeous jobs as well, including one which had cream sprayed vents and centre console and it looked like it could have been a luxury car. Beautiful.

Just take your time with the top T piece, it's quite flexible but be very careful! I took the vent parts out from the surround because masking it off can leave it looking a little messy, just try not to let them fall apart as they're quite fiddly to put back together.

To get the top off the binnacle, there are two torx screws just above the clocks, if i recall the cover pulls towards the steering wheel and then lifts off.

And yeah Skezza i didnt go for a glossy lacquer because windscreen reflections would drive me insane

• 5 weeks later...