Comfortable Coilover for my GTI??

magna_tayla

Hi Guys just a little feedback would be appreciated on this one

Currently have FK Coilovers on my GTI, Been told there a fairly Descent Make, Better than your Cheap lows like Jom etc.

However these have been on the car since I Bought it and have seen better Days, i don't feel the ride on them is that great, very bumpy and crashy, the road conditions in Bucks don't help this. maybe this is due to there age and use.

The Lupo is my Daily so I'm looking for lows, but with comfort for everyday use.

I've heard KW's are good, but mega Money, Found some FK's on eBay new for £170. no idea what to do.

pictures of how my car sits now on the FK's and with the D90's I'm looking to go 30mm lower on the front, 20mm lower on the rear, maybe more who knows. thanks

IMG_9464_zpsuddugx2l.jpg

IMG_9463_zpsuwxoqhpj.jpg

IMG_9460_zpspkkteyjr.jpg

IMG_9461_zpstt69t7nm.png

Edited by magna_tayla

I'd also say AP's are about the best budget coilovers you can buy. I've had them on my GTI for 6 years and done over 80k miles with them and they are still serviceable.

Just be warned though, that the lower you go the worse the ride is and the more likely you are to wear the shocks out. (as well as CV joints, wishbones etc..)

You also look like you're on the brink of needed a chassis notch to prevent the driveshaft banging into the chassis over bumps and stuff, so bear this in mind if you do want to drop it more.

Have you considered a conventional spring/shock arrangement rather than adjustable coilovers? It will be much more comfortable, although you may not get the extra drop you're after, but you could certainly achieve the same height as you currently have.

• Like 1

I'd also say AP's are about the best budget coilovers you can buy. I've had them on my GTI for 6 years and done over 80k miles with them and they are still serviceable.

Just be warned though, that the lower you go the worse the ride is and the more likely you are to wear the shocks out. (as well as CV joints, wishbones etc..)

You also look like you're on the brink of needed a chassis notch to prevent the driveshaft banging into the chassis over bumps and stuff, so bear this in mind if you do want to drop it more.

Have you considered a conventional spring/shock arrangement rather than adjustable coilovers? It will be much more comfortable, although you may not get the extra drop you're after, but you could certainly achieve the same height as you currently have.

And it'll probably handle miles better. Cheap coilovers are a bag of **** when it comes to handling. Unless the aim is for cheap looks, then there's absolutely no point in fitting them, because a set of OEM suspension pisses all over them.

And it'll probably handle miles better. Cheap coilovers are a bag of **** when it comes to handling. Unless the aim is for cheap looks, then there's absolutely no point in fitting them, because a set of OEM suspension pisses all over them.

style over substance

style over substance

Yep, and I kind of get that. Especially for people who are desperate to take their car to meets and fit in with the scene etc, what I do laugh at, is people who say their cheap coilovers handle well, because they just don't. Aside from grinding your spine into powdered bone, they massively ruin the handling going round corners..... and forget about driving in the wet.

They're all pretty much the same. JOM, FK, Ta Technix, they're all cheap junk. They'll do a job don't get me wrong and I've half considered them when OEM suspension can be pricey, but in my opinion, you'll be disappointed if you want anything other than looks

If you want decent and reasonably prices coilovers, I can highly recommend AP's, I had (still have on the rear!) them on my GTI and they give a good balance between comfort and handling. I've changed the fronts to JOMs purely to get it through an MOT as the fronts were dead, had no fluid in them at all, though to be fair I did fit them at 80k and my GTI is now on 159k, so I think I've had my moneys worth from them!

I've had a few issues sorting the tracking out with the JOMs as they don't have elongated holes to adjust the camber, the AP's do. I can't honestly say that the ride or handling has suffered in any way since fitting the JOMs, though I'm only doing maybe 300 miles a month in her now as opposed to 400 a week, another reason for the budget option. I will be buying AP's again when funds allow though....

I love my KW v1s great handling, but as said expensive.

3,242 mile road trip through Europe last year and performed excellent and not "crashy" at all after being on for nearly 11 years and 60,000 miles.

That said I have a new set to go on which I bought last year for her 10th birthday.

thanks for all your opinions guys, Im now definitely going to look at either AP's or KW's, theres a big price difference I'm sure, I'm thinking in the long run KW's would be a better option for me and well worth the extra money. anyone got an idea on wheres best to get them from and price? thanks again to all the feedback