My Raven Blue GTI

Skajme

Well if you have your key in there it gives you more of an interior manipulation so you can wiggle it about and hopefully jiggle it free, also the barrel itself has a series of springs and latches that could potentially hold it fast, and when the key is inserted, the latches slide into the shape of the barrel which is what allows the locking mechanism to turn to lock/unlock in the first place. 

I know when you fit new barrels into locks you have to insert them with the keys fitted in the barrel so it's possible that the opposite is true too.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

No worries, they can be a right sod. Next you'll be on here saying the lock is siezed and you can't get your key in! ?

haha nah, its a bit stiff but I can lock and unlock it with the key fortunately! If I had the money/time i'd get a mk5 golf handle put on to be honest. Standard ones are crap.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to add, managed to get the handle out in the end and put the new one in. Much nicer!
Really need to get around to buying a machine polisher. When it's sunny the amount of swirls makes me seriously unhappy

lupooo_zpsmwe2i1o4.jpg

In the meantime have a look at 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0069VNTV6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1463309387&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=black+hole+glaze&dpPl=1&dpID=41uQ4XkkUsL&ref=plSrch

For the price it works well & lasts fairly well too. Will make a big difference to your swirl marks in direct sunlight. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Few more picture's, not done anything in a few month's. There's a couple of things I need to get around to doing though, got a new arch liner that I need to put on and still need to deal with a bit of rust on the rear arches.

IMG_20160905_172241_zps2ly7gmln.jpg

IMG_20160912_015611_zpsjwcorbkz.jpg

IMG_20160912_015859_zpsnc4s0hg9.jpg

• 2 months later...

So I got a new steering wheel..

IMAG0643_zpsnsswuzd8.jpg

Not 100% sure If i'm going to keep it, but I do like it!

And got my hand's on a second hand Janspeed catback so had that put on aswell, still sits a bit low though, think it's down to the rubber hangers being a bit stretched and old.

IMAG0656_zpsjmyy6ju4.jpg

• 2 months later...

Finally after two years got around to fitting a new front arch liner! Removed a nice moist compost mound from behind it aswell. How does it even get behind there?! Need to remove the other side and have a look now!

IMG_20170201_141852_zpsz3g02ojc.jpg

Got some Bilt Hamber snow foam aswell so I can just give the car a quick rinse instead of a full clean to fight the winter grime! don't know why I didn't invest years ago!

IMG_20170201_153252_zpsletfzvr8.jpg

Got a question aswell. Anyone know what size the bolt is on the track rod end, the one that goes on the inner rod?

I've been working on a lot of different cars lately but 19mm rings a bell, clean the thread and work it off (loosen, tighten) till it spins freely or the spindle will spin.

use a hammer to break the taper whilst prying the track rod up with something.

saves killing the boot with a splitter.

15 hours ago, Rich said:

I've been working on a lot of different cars lately but 19mm rings a bell, clean the thread and work it off (loosen, tighten) till it spins freely or the spindle will spin.

use a hammer to break the taper whilst prying the track rod up with something.

saves killing the boot with a splitter.

Cheer's mate, I'll have a look at it at weekend. Did have a quick look and the passenger side is far far more gunked up and rusty than the driver's side, which is to be expected I suppose...Any rate, it should be fun. After all who doesn't love battling rusted up bolts/threads!

• 1 month later...

Replaced my rear Discs/pads at weekend with some Brembo dealies. Gonna do the front next and I'm contemplating a G60 upgrade, am I correct in thinking that one of the places to get the correct carriers is from a 1.8 Corrado? Found a set for about £20 each if so.
IMG_20170311_162021_zps4vleiont.jpg

Now the weathers improving a bit aswell, got the clay bar/polish/wax out and gave her a good going over.

IMG_20170313_164513_zpsbmecknlx.jpg

IMG_20170313_164335_zpsbgxfs5vt.jpg

IMG_20170313_170704_983_zpsexveuaug.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed my check straps today using the guide off here and the bushes I bought about 18 months ago :rolleyes: Don't know why I didn't do it sooner, only took about 15 minute's and it makes a massive difference!

IMG_20170327_133657_zps1jubmcxi.jpg

Also had a good go with some Black Hole, made a slight difference, nothing major though!

IMG_20170327_171251_zpslhmsersi.jpg

IMG_20170327_171303_zpscmchuwzt.jpg

I 'might' have bought some new wheels aswell! Going to get tyre's put on them and hopefully get them on at weekend! They are nice and OEM

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got my new wheel's on! 16 inch BBS RS764's

IMG_20170408_141656_zpso4ql28p1.jpg

IMG_20170408_141710_zpsxiqh3as8.jpg

IMG_20170408_142951_zpsqjkalf2d.jpg

Stuck my new boot lid on aswell, next things to do are get a glass bung for the rear wiper hole and paint the back of the VW badge black!

IMG_20170409_165925_zps9ugi06p4.jpg

• Like 1

• Skajme changed the title to Jamie's black GTI (now Raven Blue)