Electric windows not workin properly

My lupo electric windows only go so far down... Do they all do this as standard? If so can i do anythin to modify it as its a bit of a pain. Iv only had the car 2 months n they have always done it but when i was at vw festival i noticed everyone elses went all the way down... Thanks

they both just stop clean at 3/4 way down.... last night I took it all out reset the runners to fully down put it back in... worked 3 or 4 times all the way down and back up, then the switch stopped working for a second when it started working again back to 3/4 down again... im stumped now?

yeah there both working fine both sides switches seem to work ok... just totally confusing as to why there stopping its almost like when the back ones go down so far for a child lock kinda thing? but as I say it does run all the way up and down which I know just cant get it to stay that way. thanks

it could be a battery and or earth issue. (the second or two of dead switch and then it losing the memory). You need a multimeter to help out there.

Start the engine, so hopefully your alternator works at idle and your battery is getting some volts to help out, then do window reset procedure again as given above. Do they now work up and down properly? Do they then stop working again after the switch goes dead for a second or two like you mention previous?

You need repeatable results to narrow down where the problem is.

You can eliminate the switch as a likely problem like this:

Dscn4580.jpg

(On my car)

Tan connector = Drivers window

Black connector = Passenger window

Black dot, pin 1 = common

Red dot = down

Green dot = up

I used very thin solder wire, but any thin wire will do, but dont shove anything fat in there or you'll make the connectors baggy and cause more problems.

One end in pin 1 (black dot) touch the other end in for up or down.

I had to work this out on mine as i didnt have a switch with the car and i was replacing broken window.

It probably isnt the switch tbh, but you can eliminate it without forking out £40 to find out.

It sounds like the ecu is losing the memory (assuming the ecu handles that) so I'd look at battery / earth / connectors etc.

Edited by Sausage

• 1 year later...

My left hand window has also just stopped an hour ago. Fortunately it powers going up, but nothing going down... big sigh. Another job for spring time. My guess its the switches, as the motor makes the lights dim if I press up. no change if i press down.

Is there anyone who hasn't had leccy window problems with a vdub?!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mk2 said:

My left hand window has also just stopped an hour ago. Fortunately it powers going up, but nothing going down... big sigh. Another job for spring time. My guess its the switches, as the motor makes the lights dim if I press up. no change if i press down.

Is there anyone who hasn't had leccy window problems with a vdub?!

Mine doesn't work from the drivers side. If I need it opening I have to lean over and wait.... such a palaver haha! 

When I tried to reset it though it made an odd clicking, as if something was happening, but to no avail. It's not necessary though so I'm not particularly bothered. 

Definitely going to sort my rear window wiper out tomorrow, and possible the scuttle and drains. Then hopefully over the weekend I'll get round to retrimming headliner and making it pretty.... I have pedo bear and darth Vader at the moment (not my choice!)