Suspension

Hiya all,

I have ruined a few cars in my younger years by messing about with suspension, making them undriveable and uncomfortable.

Now that I am maturing in years ? I still want a sporty ride and a small drop in ride height but retain most of the comfort of a normal car.

I know that there is a bit of a trade of when you "go sporty" but can anyone recommend suitable setup?

Thanks in advance ?

I'd just put a set of relatively cost friendly lowering springs on OEM. You should get a lower ride height with the comfort of stock shocks. If you're going to put suspension on, you need to spend good money, otherwise you'll end up with spinal injuries with it being such a hard ride.

Hiya all,

I have ruined a few cars in my younger years by messing about with suspension, making them undriveable and uncomfortable.

Now that I am maturing in years I still want a sporty ride and a small drop in ride height but retain most of the comfort of a normal car.

I know that there is a bit of a trade of when you "go sporty" but can anyone recommend suitable setup?

Thanks in advance

Have you got a budget in mind?

Damian @ DPM Performance

• Like 1

I'd just put a set of relatively cost friendly lowering springs on OEM. You should get a lower ride height with the comfort of stock shocks. If you're going to put suspension on, you need to spend good money, otherwise you'll end up with spinal injuries with it being such a hard ride.

That's kind of what I had in mind but wasn't sure how the ride would be

Have you got a budget in mind?

Damian @ DPM Performance

Not really mate. I was just getting an idea of what could be done as Arosa's are new to me

That's kind of what I had in mind but wasn't sure how the ride would be

Not really mate. I was just getting an idea of what could be done as Arosa's are new to me

Ride would be fine, slightly lower. Should retain the comfort of your nice OEM shocks. The only thing I'd say is you may and I stress may wear out your shockers quicker but it's a fairly subjective debate. If you hit your car hard over speed bumps and hump back bridges etc, then you'll **** a set of shockers on OEM springs, so it's all about your driving.

Ride would be fine, slightly lower. Should retain the comfort of your nice OEM shocks. The only thing I'd say is you may and I stress may wear out your shockers quicker but it's a fairly subjective debate. If you hit your car hard over speed bumps and hump back bridges etc, then you'll **** a set of shockers on OEM springs, so it's all about your driving.

Well the decision has been made for me. I went over a speed bump today and there was an almighty bang.

I got home and got the car up in the air to investigate. The n/s front spring has snapped. Luckily it's the first 3inches of the top coil so no bad damage has occurred.

As money is tight (the only had the car a week) I shall order a set of springs along with my service items.

I have a few questions.

Although I safely had the front of the car up on axle stands using a trolley jack I wasn't totally sure I used the correct jacking points. What points can you safely lift with a trolley jack from? And where to put the axle stands?

The top nut on the strut is 21mm but I can't get enough purchase on it with just a regular ring spanner. It's there a special spanner I can buy for the job?

Next the exiting bit. 30 or 40mm drop?

Are the Arosa spring the same as the Lupo tdi

Thanks again

Edited by wehey

Well the decision has been made for me. I went over a speed bump today and there was an almighty bang.

I got home and got the car up in the air to investigate. The n/s front spring has snapped. Luckily it's the first 3inches of the top coil so no bad damage has occurred.

As money is tight (the only had the car a week) I shall order a set of springs along with my service items.

I have a few questions.

Although I safely had the front of the car up on axle stands using a trolley jack I wasn't totally sure I used the correct jacking points. What points can you safely lift with a trolley jack from? And where to put the axle stands?

The top nut on the strut is 21mm but I can't get enough purchase on it with just a regular ring spanner. It's there a special spanner I can buy for the job?

Next the exiting bit. 30 or 40mm drop?

Are the Arosa spring the same as the Lupo tdi

Thanks again

I tend to jack under the wishbone and slide the axle stand under the wishbone too. You should be able to fit both. I don't recommend jacking using the traditional scissor jack points because you'll crease the metal (someone did on mine before i got it) and that can cause rust.

I'm pretty sure I did mine with a simple ratchet. No bother.

The less the drop the better imo. You still need practicality after all.

You can't just use a ratchet as the whole unit spins. There is an Allen key in the top to lock it off as you undo the nut.

Also I notice that the Eibach springs are £150ish. Are there any other good makes which cost a bit less. Money is unfortunately a bit tight

You can't just use a ratchet as the whole unit spins. There is an Allen key in the top to lock it off as you undo the nut.

Also I notice that the Eibach springs are £150ish. Are there any other good makes which cost a bit less. Money is unfortunately a bit tight

Ahh yes, forgot about that. Can't remember then. Was a long time ago to be fair.

Well I decided to bit the bullet and go with a quality spring set rather than a cheap offering.

So I have on order a set of Eibach Pro springs which have a 30mm drop and then have the option of upgrading the shocks at a later date, knowing it will be a quality (adult) setup and not slammer/ruined/undriveable affair

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I fitted the Eibach spring today and I have to say they are absolutely perfect and exactly what I was after.

The drop is spot on and looks perfect but subtle. The ride is not much noticeably different from stock when just cruising around but does feel stiffer with less body roll when pushed.

I am so glad I spent the extra for a quality spring