Cheap suspension?

JackPalmer27

Hello,

Had my lupo for a while now and it's about time I start to do some stuff to it! Completely new to it all so would someone be abled to give me some advice on coilovers please? I'm looking for some cheap ones as I'm not on the best of money so would like a budget around £150? I know I'm not going to get good ones for that but could someone tell me if Coilovers such as JOM's would be okay please?

Thanks.

Jack

Hello,

Had my lupo for a while now and it's about time I start to do some stuff to it! Completely new to it all so would someone be abled to give me some advice on coilovers please? I'm looking for some cheap ones as I'm not on the best of money so would like a budget around £150? I know I'm not going to get good ones for that but could someone tell me if Coilovers such as JOM's would be okay please?

Thanks.

Jack

Your ride will be a bag of ****, but yeah, you can get a set of JOMs or TA Technix or whatever for about £150 off eBay. Cheap lows though, don't expect it to handle well whatsoever.

Your ride will be a bag of ****, but yeah, you can get a set of JOMs or TA Technix or whatever for about £150 off eBay. Cheap lows though, don't expect it to handle well whatsoever.

The FK's aren't too bad Skezza. As long as you don't lowered it to badgery (like me :sweating: ) they're not bad. Probably be better than standard units that haven't been changed from the factory!

The FK's aren't too bad Skezza. As long as you don't lowered it to badgery (like me :sweating: ) they're not bad. Probably be better than standard units that haven't been changed from the factory!

Maybe, but brand new OEM suspension would wipe the floor with cheap coilies. It's a complete myth that the lower the car, the better the handling. There's a lot more to it.

I've fitted JOM's to mine (only a temporary fix that will still be there in 6 years time!) on the front as my AP's were buggered and now its all set-up ok, it seems to handle just fine, even the ride is pretty good. I'm not stupid low though and I don't do the mileage in mine anymore to justify spending a huge amount, so the JOM's will do me fine for now. I can highly recommend AP's though when your budget stretches to it, and I also highly recommend Damian's company, they came through really quickly....

Maybe, but brand new OEM suspension would wipe the floor with cheap coilies. It's a complete myth that the lower the car, the better the handling. There's a lot more to it.

completely agree, I ruined a mk1 Golf GTI by lowering and stiffening the ride

I've fitted JOM's to mine (only a temporary fix that will still be there in 6 years time!) on the front as my AP's were buggered and now its all set-up ok, it seems to handle just fine, even the ride is pretty good. I'm not stupid low though and I don't do the mileage in mine anymore to justify spending a huge amount, so the JOM's will do me fine for now. I can highly recommend AP's though when your budget stretches to it, and I also highly recommend Damian's company, they came through really quickly....

I don't think there's any inherent problem with fitting coilovers as an alternative to stock suspension. You don't have to wind them down to the point that the car is undriveable and they're much cheaper than OEM's in my opinion. The last time I checked, Volkswagen were trying to blag £90 a corner out of me, although Mattarosa seemed to get his shocks for cheaper than that.

My point is this, put your car on cheap coilovers and lowering it does NOT mean it'll handle better, especially around corners. It's a myth. You're paying for looks only and I can almost guarantee that an equivalent set of OEM suspension would piss all over cheap coilies. I imagine at the stock ride height (if that's possible with cheap coilies) they'd do just fine including mileage. You want better than stock, you're going to be spending well over £500.

I had 5 different sets of springs and dampers on a MK2 Golf inc stock, Bilstein, Spax, and Cofap the best of all were the Boge turbogas strut and spring set they were amongst the cheapest too, but the biggest improvement to steering and handling you can do is fit poly bushes to your anti roll bars wishbones and steering rack

I don't think there's any inherent problem with fitting coilovers as an alternative to stock suspension. You don't have to wind them down to the point that the car is undriveable and they're much cheaper than OEM's in my opinion. The last time I checked, Volkswagen were trying to blag £90 a corner out of me, although Mattarosa seemed to get his shocks for cheaper than that.

My point is this, put your car on cheap coilovers and lowering it does NOT mean it'll handle better, especially around corners. It's a myth. You're paying for looks only and I can almost guarantee that an equivalent set of OEM suspension would piss all over cheap coilies. I imagine at the stock ride height (if that's possible with cheap coilies) they'd do just fine including mileage. You want better than stock, you're going to be spending well over £500.

I still do ;) im having to fit a new rear one to mine on Tuesday as its gone like yours...