Highest mileage 1.4 TDI

annavr6

Hi All

Ive lurked for a long time on here as i have had my TDI for 10 years in April next year and have just bought a raven blue GTI

My TDI is pretty high mileage on 173K adn still going strong, original battery and clutch although it desperatly needs a clutch

so who has the highest mileage TDI? whats yours on, anyone know any higher than 173K?

Im hoping to make 300K i dont plan on selling anytime soon, have just bought a full stainless exhaust for it as mine is rot

Not that it matters at all to this thread, seeing as it's a different engine, but the 1.9 PD 150's which are the most common taxi engine on the planet, can run well above 500k. You routinely find ex-taxis available for quite cheap in very nice condition but with an engine with 500k miles.

It's all about the service history imo. There's a lot more emphasis on servicing a turbo-charged car than say a N/A SDI. I know that'll go against some of the scaremongerers out there who reckon you should service your car every 3000 miles or something ridiculous, regardless of the engine, but there we go.

Not that it matters at all to this thread, seeing as it's a different engine, but the 1.9 PD 150's which are the most common taxi engine on the planet, can run well above 500k. You routinely find ex-taxis available for quite cheap in very nice condition but with an engine with 500k miles.

It's all about the service history imo. There's a lot more emphasis on servicing a turbo-charged car than say a N/A SDI. I know that'll go against some of the scaremongerers out there who reckon you should service your car every 3000 miles or something ridiculous, regardless of the engine, but there we go.

Ive seen a couple of mk4s with 500k not personally but online. pretty impressive to be honest. Mine has had regular servicing every 10k without fail, something like its 4th cambelt now too, as ive had the car so long i know all of its history. but i agree servicing regular is important.

Ive seen a couple of mk4s with 500k not personally but online. pretty impressive to be honest. Mine has had regular servicing every 10k without fail, something like its 4th cambelt now too, as ive had the car so long i know all of its history. but i agree servicing regular is important.

Just keep those servicings on time and those cambelts changed and it'll run for a long long time, even on the original turbo.

I've been in a Merc 190d taxi with 800,000kms under its belt, these are old school diesels and seem to be indestructible

I've been in a Merc 190d taxi with 800,000kms under its belt, these are old school diesels and seem to be indestructible

Yup, there's a guy on ClubPolo with an SDI with over 1 million miles on the clock. I think it was an SDI Saloon and he used it to drive from London to Newcastle, two or three times a week, so he rapidly put the miles on it. I believe it's still going.

Yup, there's a guy on ClubPolo with an SDI with over 1 million miles on the clock. I think it was an SDI Saloon and he used it to drive from London to Newcastle, two or three times a week, so he rapidly put the miles on it. I believe it's still going.

thats an epic amount of miles!

My Polo Variant SDI finally died last summer at 260,000 although it was a bit of a Trigger's Broom, being on its second engine after the original seized at about 100,000. This was probably the result of poor maintenance on my part, although it did happen suspiciously soon after having had the belts changed.

I want to enter our TDI Sport as having the lowest mileage. It's a 54 plate, which we bought when it was about two years old. I need to check but I think it's only done around 65,000.

What a strange looking TDI. Black bump strips? I've never seen that on an S model Lupo (and there was no such thing as an E TDI). For a car with 200k, it looks very tidy.

How did your Polo SDI die?

The timing belt on my second engine stripped its teeth and it went crunch. The rest of the car was beginning to get rather tired and it was a lost cause. It was also Evergreen, and it was beginning to affect my eyesight.

The timing belt on my second engine stripped its teeth and it went crunch. The rest of the car was beginning to get rather tired and it was a lost cause. It was also Evergreen, and it was beginning to affect my eyesight.

Oh, so the engine itself was alright?

Case and the point, the engines (if serviced on time and what not) will last for a long long time.

That said, I'm tempted to play cambelt roulette from here on out on mine now. It's got 150k on, and will need a cambelt near 200k.

• 9 months later...

Mines on 230k now and still going strong, although i think i'm replacing the turbo next weekend, not bad considering its on it's original. I can see it reaching 300k within the next 18 months. 

It just eats up the miles and costs peanuts to run even with servicing it.

Edited by FlipFlops

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...