High milage tdi

wehey

That was always part of the master plan

Are there any things worth doing before going for a remap?

I'm used to working on petrol engines and a quick look under the tdi bonnet has left me a bit baffled. It took me 15 mins to figure out where the air filter was lol.

Having read a few posts on here, a diesel purge seems like a good idea.

Other thoughts are a good air filter, fuel filter, egr delete.

Any other suggestions?

What's a diesel purge?

If you want a after market filter i would fit one that takes the actual filter outside of the engine bay as its pointless otherwise. I've done countless tests with my r32 and i run a Carbonio and that takes the filter totally out the engine to the passenger side bottom vent. On the Surrey Rolling Road it gained 8bhp over the standard airbox.

Do they do anything like this for the Lupo, i've looked but not founf anything :(? I might make myself one up if they dont.

intake2_zps95002876.jpg

Edited by FlipFlops

What's a diesel purge?

If you want a after market filter i would fit one that takes the actual filter outside of the engine bay as its pointless otherwise. I've done countless tests with my r32 and i run a Carbonio and that takes the filter totally out the engine to the passenger side bottom vent. On the Surrey Rolling Road it gained 8bhp over the standard airbox.

Do they do anything like this for the Lupo, i've looked but not founf anything :(? I might make myself one up if they dont.

intake2_zps95002876.jpg

Don't lower it, its a tall engine so if you do, you risk the sump and if you place the filter so low you risk your engine in even shallow water

I've been talking to these guys today, they are getting back to me with a price for a map.

https://www.facebook.com/DervTech?fref=ts

I pick the car up Friday and its going in Saturday to a place near me to have the cat cut out and all the silencers removed too. Should be fun lol.

I wouldn't recommend changing the air filter for anything other than an OEM replacement, or aftermarket cylindrical replacement. The stock one is fine, and VW have a fairly intricate CIA on the Lupo SDI/TDI.

A diesel purge is a great idea on old diesels. Basically, you run your fuel lines into high octane solution (the diesel purge), you then give your engine a bit of a boot and the solution will clean your injectors. It's very good stuff and highly recommended. I know some will say it's snake oil and an Italian tuneup will do the same, but it really doesn't. This stuff cleans your pre-chambers and your injector nozzles. For the money, it's well worth it. I need to do mine again in fact.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/97552-how-to-diesel-purge-your-lupo-the-right-way/

I wouldn't recommend changing the air filter for anything other than an OEM replacement, or aftermarket cylindrical replacement. The stock one is fine, and VW have a fairly intricate CIA on the Lupo SDI/TDI.

A diesel purge is a great idea on old diesels. Basically, you run your fuel lines into high octane solution (the diesel purge), you then give your engine a bit of a boot and the solution will clean your injectors. It's very good stuff and highly recommended. I know some will say it's snake oil and an Italian tuneup will do the same, but it really doesn't. This stuff cleans your pre-chambers and your injector nozzles. For the money, it's well worth it. I need to do mine again in fact.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/97552-how-to-diesel-purge-your-lupo-the-right-way/

That diesel purge is brilliant! I will give that a go next week! Did the car drive better/smoother after you had given it a flush? Mines done 200k so i bet its full if shizzle lol.

The only reason I'm going to change the air filter/box is because they suffer from so much heat soak from inside the engine bay, the standard filter gets ridiculously hot so taking the filter outside of the engine you almost eliminate any heat soak and of course its freer flowing.

I'm not a fan and never have been with just bolting on a K&N filter and leaving it inside the bay but if you can get the filter out of the bay you stand a very good chance of improving the running of the car. I've done tests with different filters on the golf and the results were very interesting. I will post them up. We did intake temps, filter temps, engine bay temps etc.

Your understanding of the tdi is flawed if you think you can reduce heat soak that way. Do you actually know where the filter in the tdi is? An open filter will introduce more heatsoak. Also you haven't seen the size of the tdi filter have you.

Tl;dr this isn't your petrol golf. So the same rules don't apply at all.

Edited by Dblock
  • Like 1

I know how heat soak works lol. I'm not putting the filter inside the engine bay its going outside. The same as the Carbonio style above. It eliminates any heat soak from the engine. The filter isnt going in the bay, its in the wing or deep down in the front bumper.

The diesel purge made the car pull off quicker and idle smoother. It felt much sharper on the throttle. After all, you're effectively restoring the correct spray pattern after years of it being off.

I think you're wrong. The sdi and tdi have quite intricate CAI systems straight from the factory. I very much doubt plumbing a new system in will make any difference at all.

If you're going to play with the intake your best bang for the buck is to improve the intercooler either a bigger one or perhaps a water spray / cooling fan. Taking any restriction out of the intake isn't going to buy you much. Diesels are fuel limited engines anyway they always run excess air.

you risk hydraulicing your engine if you enter anything deeper than a puddle

Not true, try doing a water decarbonisation. You spray a crap ton of water in with no ill effects, plus it's got a hell of a way to go. But getting your filter soaked with water wont help performance.

Like this :)

LW34.jpg

Super lol where do you think the filter on the tdi is? You know best though.

If you're going to play with the intake your best bang for the buck is to improve the intercooler either a bigger one or perhaps a water spray / cooling fan. Taking any restriction out of the intake isn't going to buy you much. Diesels are fuel limited engines anyway they always run excess air.

Water spray is 100% the way to go. Intercooler will make the car laggier due to the larger size. The turbo is only small. But your 100% right in the way diesels work. The filter is massive on these tiny engines.

Edited by Dblock

I thought the same myself, but wasn't going to say anything lol :D

On 15/08/2015 at 11:00 PM, Dblock said:

Not true, try doing a water decarbonisation. You spray a crap ton of water in with no ill effects, plus it's got a hell of a way to go. But getting your filter soaked with water wont help performance.

Water spray is 100% the way to go. Intercooler will make the car laggier due to the larger size. The turbo is only small. But your 100% right in the way diesels work. The filter is massive on these tiny engines.

On 17/08/2015 at 10:09 AM, Skezza said:

I thought the same myself, but wasn't going to say anything lol :D

Edited by FlipFlops

On 17/08/2015 at 1:50 PM, Dblock said:

I don't think you get the joke. But ok.

Skezza did you ever try the water decarbonisation?

Edited by FlipFlops

Speaking of a water sprayer, now that would be a great feature and I'd love to see someone (aka Dblock) actually do this mod! JDM Scoob's have a button on the dash which says 'water spray' and when you lift your foot off the throttle it sprays.

Picture%20005.jpg

I don't think you get the joke. But ok.

Skezza did you ever try the water decarbonisation?

I didn't on my SDI, BUT, I did on a friends WVO veggie wagon (a ratty Polo Saloon SDI). He was using all sorts of nasty waste veg oil, some of which was stuff like GM Soya which is a drying oil and can **** your piston rings up. Anyway, he went away for about a month and came back and his car would barely start. He eventually got it going with the help of a booster pack and thrashed the balls off it to try and sort it, but it was still really hard to start and very low on compression, especially in the cold which we're pretty sure was the sign of heavy ring gumming. Of course, if you wait too long your car won't start and then it's game over.

Anyway, aided by the booster pack again, we got it started (although by this point it was idling so badly i thought it might cut out) and whipped the air intake pipe off at the engine side. We then made a sort of make shift funnel out of duct tape and a poundland funnel and sprayed about 2 pints of water. We initially let it warm up (which was quite hard because they don't seem to get very hot anyway and this was rough as), and then I held it at about 2000 revs while my mate sprayed in about 500ml of water. It was coughing and spluttering and the engine management light kept coming and going. I then lifted it to about 2500 revs and he sprayed another pint in. Finally, I held it at 3500 revs while he emptied the rest of the bottle in.

I then floored it for about 5 seconds right up to the red line and all sorts of filth came flying out the exhaust pipe.

Engine feels brand new. Looks like the ring gumming has stopped and my mate is taking SVO more seriously :P

I never got a chance to if the intercooler kit yet but I have experimented with spraying it with water and if does 100% work.

Lol that's great. I didn't notice much of a difference in mind but I've been running 2 stroke with mine for a while.

It's always the way though you get more results from a badly treated engine.