5th gear modification to a TDi

weslangdon

this quote is taken from an Arosa TDi for sale on e-bay at the moment

"The 0.622 5th gear mod which does 70mph at 2k rpm. This means super quiet and efficient cruising. The mod cost £300. All the normal wear and tear items have been done like the stat, temp sensor and suspension work and a clutch."

I think this is quite an interesting modification in terms of both economy but also top speed, has anyone on the forum carried it out and where would that gear ratio be sourced from

• Like 1

Google search brings up some stuff, the tdi club site is down at the mo and probably has the best info, but here's a post on the audi a2 forum about it:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?12808-Information-on-the-5th-gear-mod-all-in-one-post

it's VAG main dealer stuff you need to buy and fit or get fitted.... , possibly the 0.700 ratio is available second hand in some models if i read it right (very brief scan)

Edited by Sausage
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My brother has the 0.622 mod which is 70mph at 2krpm on standard 14's and mine is the 0.656 I think which is 2150ish at 70mph. Makes cruising on the motorway way way way quieter. I went to England in my car and I let my friend who drives a bmw drive it. With the cruise control on he was very impressed how quiet and refined it was. Best of all he was super shocked when we got nearly 60mpg too lol at a gps indicated 70mph.

6th gear mod will cost £1000 without fitting or is it £800 without fitting either way unless your car is mint and has less than 50k miles why sink 1k into your car.