rear wheels rubbing on wells (GTI)

scottee88

Hi all,

Had my GTI for a few years now but never got around to sorting this issue out, its not had any mods to it standard everywhere. The rear wheels rub on the inside of the wells, due to the less than great cornering offered on stock i can go through rear tires quite quickly. Does anyone know what my different options are and how it would help? I've come across rolling the arches but I can't see how that would help the rubbing on the inside? Any help appreciated.

Are your tyres rubbing or your wheels? Are you having to replace the tyres due to tread getting low on the inside or the actual sidewall blistering??

Its the tyres, first quarter on the inside i'm replacing them before the tread is bare the side walls are ok up to that point and yes i'm running the Bathursts. I was told it is a design fault with the well? I can barely run my hand across the tyre is that close to the bottom of the 'plastic' well.

So basically a bog standard GTI.

Have the rear arch lines dropped? That said I would expect the liner to wear though before the tyre wore out.

Put up some pic's of your car so we can see how it sits.

Would it be possible that it has had the incorrect rear discs\hubs or even rear beam fitted at sometime meaning the wheels are siting further in than they should?

How much space do you have between your outer tyre edge and the wheel arch?

Yeah completely standard haven't done anything to it (yet)

my rear wheels are slightly cambered can't tell if that one is as the same, i just thought that was standard on the gti model? Mine is the same as the pic, same year and colour as yours.

i have some old pics of what it did to an old set, i'm at work right now but i'll post the pics after.

the rears do sit quite far back in the wells, they aren't centred. I think the pics will better explain, i would have thought the well would have worn too but its only in one place right at the inside corner where it is a bit thicker.

yeah no issue, i've also asked my local VW garage but they where less than useless as usual, all i ever get is its fine, normal, design floor. Going in for a service again with VW on friday going to ask them to look at it again it isn't right. Did yours sit dead centre?

Do you know whether this has been modified in the past?

Kind of looks like a mk4 Golf/Bora that's had some centering plates installed and then put back to stock height....

I couldn't say, previous owner said he didn't do anything to it. I'm going to question VW about it again when I'm in on Friday make them look at it properly and give me an answer. I'll post back with the reply.

Edited by scottee88

• 1 month later...