Wrong oil? :(

Hi everyone,

A friend was helping me out with my 2001 1.0L Lupo yesterday (63k miles on the clock), and put Castrol Magnatec 5w30 C2 oil in. Afterwards, I picked up the bottle and realised that it doesn't seem to be suitable for VWs, and we should have used the Castrol Edge 5w30. I am absolutely clueless about these things, but I am now really nervous about driving it in case I do some damage. Since it's still the 5w30, should it be okay? I'm not sure what the C2 means either... Just panicking a bit and need to know whether to forget about it or get to a garage ASAP! My next service is in mid-September, between now and then I will be driving about a 30 mile round trip every day on country roads to work.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Laura

I would use a 10w40 in your car, 5w30 is mainly for vehicles set to VW's Longlife service schedule (2 years or 20k)

It will be ok to use until the service though, so don't worry too much, but you may need to keep an eye on the level, as this oil is thinner

The problem with thinner oils is you dont get enough oil pressure, the bearings, clearences and oil pump are designed for a specific oil pressure and flow from the pump, changing the oil is cheap compared to shortening the engines life.

I used a really thin oil in one of my cars and had all sorts of noises from the engine, swapped the oil for the corrrect grade and all was back to normal

I wasn't going to wade in here, but I might as well. Personally, I'd drop your oil and maybe write it off, or use it somewhere else. I think 5w30 is a bit on the thin side. Plus, it's not designed for VAG cars. You'd probably be okay, but maybe drop it and put some 5w40 or 10w40 in. I prefer 5w40 to 10w40, but 10w40 would probably be better with the current weather.

Edited by Skezza

I wasn't going to wade in here, but I might as well. Personally, I'd drop your oil and maybe write it off, or use it somewhere else. I think 5w30 is a bit on the thin side. Plus, it's not designed for VAG cars. You'd probably be okay, but maybe drop it and put some 5w40 or 10w40 in. I prefer 5w40 to 10w40, but 10w40 would probably be better with the current weather.

All current VW's on the longlife service schedule or that have a DPF use 5w30. I agree that its a bit thin for older VW engines, but VW have been running the longlife schedule since the early noughties, so a lot of VW's are ok with 5w30.

I would personally use a 10w40 in a Lupo as that would be as the factory supplied.

All current VW's on the longlife service schedule or that have a DPF use 5w30. I agree that its a bit thin for older VW engines, but VW have been running the longlife schedule since the early noughties, so a lot of VW's are ok with 5w30.

I would personally use a 10w40 in a Lupo as that would be as the factory supplied.

Lupo's don't have the longlife service schedule though?

No they don't, but you said that 5W30 was not designed for VAG cars.....

No they don't, but you said that 5W30 was not designed for VAG cars.....

no. I said that Castrol isn't. It isn't.

VW's come from the factory with Castrol Edge in them now, pretty sure that's always been the case....

VW's come from the factory with Castrol Edge in them now, pretty sure that's always been the case....

interesting. Fair enough.