Lupo GTI repair

christophertr6

OK - bit of new ground here for me - uploading photos etc. Wish me luck.

I'm the guy who bought the red GTI from Ebay with the sliced bonnet. I'll share my trials and tribulations of its repair with the forum in the hope that people will learn from my mistakes & maybe offer some advice!

2.jpg

As this is the first post with photo I'll just see if it works then follow up with more!

Ooooh. That worked! Try another.

This is after I have removed the wing & damaged lights.P1020377.jpg

Jobs that are to do include fitting pop out rear windows, fixing the headlight mounts, removing the dents, changing the bonnet, repairing the bumper iron, light washers and then giving the car a complete service including cam belts.

I'm going to undertake all the work myself - maybe even the paint though this may end up at a body shop. I'll try & do a post for each task - though most jobs have been recorded on here before so I'll try not to bore you.

Yeah. My 1.0 has the captive nuts but GTI does not. Thought about dragging the nuts from the one for the other - but at about £1.24 each didn't seam worth the hassle. VW Twickenham provided me with the captive nuts within 24 hrs - just have to drill the holes now. I wondered if the rear glass was thinner. Guess I'll sacrifice the weight gain for the pop out ability.

Now starting to take the dents out of the windscreen pillar. The car must have gone through a fence or hedge (or both) judging from the amount of wood splinters I'm extracting. The pillar has about 18-20 small dents & scores up its length. I'm grinding off the paint, welding a 100mm length of threaded rod to the dent, connecting a slide hammer and pulling each one out. Each dent will probably take 3 "pulls" to get it out. There will then be a lot of tapping & smoothing but should end up with a repair without masses of filler.

IMG_20431.jpg

There is a dish shaped dent of the rear quarter. After I'd taken the rear window out, I removed trim & speaker then inserted a deflated football in behind the dent. Inflated the ball hoping that the dent would pop out - but no such luck. VW use real metal on their cars it seams! I am debating getting hold of some of these glue on tabs and pulling the dent that way. Does anyone have any experience with these and if so are they any good?

Great work and nice to see the progress.

Yes, the rear glass is thinner. I just lost a rear side window...

broken_zpswsoc68bx.jpg

...tempted to go for pop outs as a good friend offered them, but alas no, I'll keep to standard. Getting fitted on the 17th, that's a 2 week delay, with no rear window.

Used mig welding wire to "cheeses wire" cut through the rear window sealant. Used vice grips to hold the wire ends & sawed away. Trouble was, the wire broke at one point as I was pulling up....towards my face......with a hand full of vice grip....... Still, blood doesn't show up on Tornado red.

Insurance claim. The technician is going to look at my screen as it has numerous chips, whilst he's doing it; with an eye to ordering a new one.

Christopher, your dents sound too big for this but one way I used to get rid of some smallish dents was a heat gun and a can of compressed air. You alternate between the two and the change in temperature causes the metal to shrink slightly which can pull dents straight:

It does sound like yours is a bit beyond this technique though. It only really works with dents about the size of a tennis ball and ones where the metal isn't badly deformed.

Credit where it's due, your working hard on this one! Hope to see further updates :)

By the way, it looks like it has nasty Lexarse lights on. Get some nice OEM ones on eh? :P

• Like 1

Yup. Tried the heat gun/air duster method. Nada. Think VW metal is of a quality were there is greater tolerance to temperature reversal.

Lights were shocking so Cambridge ones from my SE are now on the GTI & replacement standard ones back to the SE.

One of pop outs now fitted and a few more dents on screen pillar pulled. Bumper iron responded well to big vice/socket/lump hammer & cold chisel. It will mount the bumper properly now.

Still on the hunt for a mirror but have acquired some parts & and am dissecting them to create a good one. Are the manual mirrors essentially the same chassis as the electric versions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Been away so no updates recently. Not done too much work but have tracked down an aluminium bonnet, which I have yet to collect. Also managed to track down the previous owner - who has had the car since new. It was a bit strange however as the car was damaged in original transit and sold off. That explains why it got such a late reg. and the fact that the bonnet was steel. It was never serviced within the VW network and not even sold by a VW dealer originally, but there is some history with it and I'm going to talk to the independent garage which has done the work to date to get some more paperwork. Its had the cam belt/water pump done in the last 5k (apparently) and the windscreen was replaced after the accident by some unknown party. Got the spare key as well which is a result.

The lady spun on black ice back in Jan and went through a wire fence - hence the cheese wired bonnet.

I'm not intending to modify the car in any way. I'll keep it as standard as possible - just get it all working properly. I don't like the lowered look and I've got bike for speed.

I work in Chertsey so I'll keep an eye out for a silver one.

• 2 months later...

Hullo.

Been up to other things so not much news on the repairs but back into it now.

In my quest for a bonnet I have ended up with three. Every time I saw one I bought it. Now I have a correct red one so I have a Lamborghini Orange one and a silver one. They will be up for sale soon.

My discs are badly lipped so Id have to change then so thought of doing the 280mm conversion. Suddenly the supply of the correct carriers seams to have dried up. There was an eBay supplier offering TRW ones at about £30 each - but suddenly TRW have deleted these from their list. I'll have to trawl the junk yards. If anyone has a pair of 357615125c let me know.

Just doing some simple stuff. I thought I'd check the gearbox oil while the front end is off the car - but could I find the level plug!!? I looked n here for threads and have seen the pictures of the security star socket plug thing but could not see anything like that on my box. I think as my car is a very late one the box might be different. In fact this car might have been destined for the Jap market - I noticed the yellow plastic ring thing around the brake fluid reservoir with Japanese writing on it. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I had the a/c looked at by a local guy, who diagnosed compressor failure. He degassed it for me and left me with some new seals.

I found a replacement compressor on eBay and fitted that with the new seals. Have to wait for the front end to go back on so I can run the car before getting the guy back to recharge the system. I'll find out then if my compressor works.

Still got the paint to sort but may have found another local guy to help.

I did see a silver GTI pulling out of Riverbourne Health Club in Chertsey a while ago (LexG ?)

So if anyone has clues on the gearbox/oil level plug and carriers lemme know.

On the "front" of the box - i.e. where it is on my 1.0 - the only thing evident is the reversing light switch.(I in fact undid that and no oil came out) There is no other plug. I've got a set of hex plug drives and there is nothing there to put one in, or indeed on the "end" or on the back. I am perplexed. I don't want to continue and put the front panel etc. back on until I have sorted this out as access is sooo much better with it all exposed.

Yup. Seen a "how to" thread on here about cars from which these can be harvested - but there are some with 288mm discs as well so can't assume any Mk3 will do - or I'll end up with a bench full of wrong calipers & carriers................rather like I did with wing mirrors...........and bonnets.

Did yours have any markings or code numbers on them?

Just doing some simple stuff. I thought I'd check the gearbox oil while the front end is off the car - but could I find the level plug!!? I looked n here for threads and have seen the pictures of the security star socket plug thing but could not see anything like that on my box. I think as my car is a very late one the box might be different. In fact this car might have been destined for the Jap market - I noticed the yellow plastic ring thing around the brake fluid reservoir with Japanese writing on it. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Gearbox fill/level plug is on the opposite side compared to drain plug. It's pretty hard to get to. Just look above the driveshaft flange.