HELP! Lupo GTI electric windows not working

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum having recently bought a lupo GTI, shortly after buying the car the electric windows stopped working, the switches light up and click but the windows won't move. All the fuses are fine. The electric mirrors also don't work and the car has a habit of locking itself when the drivers door is open unless the keys are in the ignition.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Apologies if I've posted this on the wrong place or if it's already been covered.

Cheers

Not me personally but I believe a common fault. Others should be along to assist soon enough but use the search tool. I'm sure you'll find the answer you're looking for

• Like 1

Are we talking both windows and mirrors or just one side matey? Sounds to me like you have a series of issues rather than just one fault causing them all tbh. A regular one with the door locking is a door micro switch, saying that tho I do know of some that are programmed to lock after a certain period of time if no key is in the ignition. Something to look into anyways, especially if it never used to do it before but now it does.

Regarding your window/mirror fault, with them all going off its possible the wiring between your body and door which runs along the hinge inside that rubber tubing, it's not uncommon on any vehicle for the wiring to chafe inside and cause issues for your door electrics, again, something for you to have a look at.

cheers for the replies guys

Both passenger and drivers side windows and mirrors have the same fault. The doors have always locked themselves so like you said I'm sure it's programmed to do so.

I'll check the wiring now, I've had the door cards off and the wiring in there seems to be intact but what I assume to be the motor is very warm when the ignition is on even without attempting to lower the windows.

I'll continue to look into it and see what I can find, thanks again

Seems to me that there may be a short somewhere in your wiring causing both your motors to be on constantly, burning them out, I'd be tempted to disconnect the plug to each motor, leave them for a couple of hours to cool and in the mean time check the pins with a meter to see if any of them are being given a 12v feed as soon as the ignition is on.

Had a bit of a play with a multi metre, made sure all of the connections were secure and checked for any broken wires. Turned out to be the switches despite the fact they had power going to them and lit up... Only feel slightly stupid now