1.7 sdi - what to look for

Patronu

So I'm looking to replace my 1.4s due to commuting costs. Even willing to try svo on it. What should I look for when checking the engine? I'm interested in everything that needs looking for.

Thanks.

Well, look for the standard Lupo stuff, cambelt most importantly, check the pedal box, clutch, gearbox etc.

Serviceable items, fuel filter, oil filter, oil used (they really should have 5w30 or 5w40 fully synthetic, not part), air filter, check there's no blue smoke etc.

Funny thing. There are more TDI s around here for sale than SDI s. And the price difference isn't that big. Has anyone tried blending (clean) vegetable oil in either of them? I'm not convinced which one is cheaper to run.

Funny thing. There are more TDI s around here for sale than SDI s. And the price difference isn't that big. Has anyone tried blending (clean) vegetable oil in either of them? I'm not convinced which one is cheaper to run.

I run my SDI on 100% vegetable oil

Wouldn't try it on a TDI. Turbo failure coming right up.

Thanks a lot! How is the fuel consumption compared to 100% diesel? Don't you blend it with gasoline or diesel, just pure oil? Also do you use some kind of heating system?

Edited by Patronu

Fuel consumption isn't much different. No I don't blend. Not really, I ensured my thermostatic valve was working though.

Fuel consumption isn't much different. No I don't blend. Not really, I ensured my thermostatic valve was working though.

Thats some great info, thanks a lot. I forgot to ask you about how the engine is running. Any cold start issues?

Injectors would crap out before the turbo.

Isn't that true only with WVO? I can't see any reason why new oil from the store would cause problems.

Thats some great info, thanks a lot. I forgot to ask you about how the engine is running. Any cold start issues?

Isn't that true only with WVO? I can't see any reason why new oil from the store would cause problems.

Not that I can think of. I certainly never had a non start situation. In the winter, I continued to use 100% SVO till it was just above freezing. The car always started but there while cold the car felt very underpowered. Once warmed up the car ran normally.

I've considered installing a FPHE but sdi engines run very cold, even when warm. I don't know if taking the heat away from the engine would be a good thing.

Think what you like.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

SDi's run cool, even when fully up to temp, about 69 degrees in some cases. I have a grill block on my SDI and it even in the hot weather it only gets up to about 90. I may remove the grill block as it gets warmer, but even so....

Thanks a lot! How is the fuel consumption compared to 100% diesel? Don't you blend it with gasoline or diesel, just pure oil? Also do you use some kind of heating system?

heating oil or jet fuel [kerosene] are very similar to diesel but are lacking in lubricant so if you are thinking of the illegal use of such fuels you need to use diesel on a 1 in 3 fill up basis

Thats weird. Have you checked your radiator fan sensor? Even if your thermostat is in perfect condition the one which triggers the fan could be off and start spinning it too soon.

Wow your so knowledgable for being new to a forum. Don't listen to anything anyone says your right *thumbs up*

heating oil or jet fuel [kerosene] are very similar to diesel but are lacking in lubricant so if you are thinking of the illegal use of such fuels you need to use diesel on a 1 in 3 fill up basis

I think what he means is, do I use a heating system for the fuel. Some people twin tank or use a FPHE. Others use a barrel heater. I've even seen some people install a 12v heating element in the tank, but I think this has absolutely no chance of working efficiently.

Thanks a lot for the input Skeeza. It's pretty much what I need. Have you driven the 1.4s besides you sdi? Personally I don't know anyone who has and sdi to see how "torquey" it is in regular driving compared my petrol engine. Hopefully it is not that slow like people say. :D

Wow your so knowledgable for being new to a forum. Don't listen to anything anyone says your right *thumbs up*

4400a994c7bf30889c2d0ab7342bef5d37d07ce1

Thanks a lot for the input Skeeza. It's pretty much what I need. Have you driven the 1.4s besides you sdi? Personally I don't know anyone who has and sdi to see how "torquey" it is in regular driving compared my petrol engine. Hopefully it is not that slow like people say. :D

4400a994c7bf30889c2d0ab7342bef5d37d07ce1

The SDI is slow, although probably slightly faster than a 1.0 E. I imagine it's much slower than the 1.4S though. Don't trick yourself into believing it's higher numbers give better performance, because they don't. The SDI is an industrial engine designed for reliability, economy and ease of use, not speed. No, I've not driven a 1.4, but I've driven a 1.0.

However, here's why I prefer it to a petrol equivalent. Firstly, the SDI engines are really bullet proof. I did have some issues with my petrol Lupo, whether it was my throttle body gunking up with filth causing my Lupo to hunt really badly and cut out often, then it was sensors, then it was something else. The SDI engine really doesn't have issues if you maintain and service it properly. If you do some extra maintenance like diesel purge, you'll keep it going for even longer!! Wow.

Secondly, and this is the big one, performance where it matters. The 1.0 is probably a teeny bit faster away from the lights than an SDI. However, the SDI has a surprisingly torquey mid-range. Between 40-70 MPH, you can really get it to kick. The 1.0's were gutless when overtaking I found and I was always shitting my pants as to whether I'd make it. You have to find it to understand it, but once you've found it and know how to use it, you can actually make your SDI a competent overtaking warrior. Like I said, it's between sort of 40MPH and 70MPH. Find it, and you're laughing.

Thirdly, motorway performance. At 70MPH, a 1.0 is absolutely screaming. I hated motorway driving in the 1.0. It was painful and uncomfortable. You really had to thrash it. The SDI however, will comfortably do 70, and feels quite smooth. Even at 90, it's only doing about 3000 ish revs, so doesn't feel like it's screaming at all.

I've driven the 1.0 and it was surprisingly nippy due to its short ratio gearbox, even comparable to my 1.4s. With my 1st and 3rd long gears I barely have any wheel torque under 3000rpm. What s the sweet spot to change gears in the sdi? Are the gear ratios the same or some are longer and some are shorter?

I usually drive early in the morning or late at night because I hate traffic, so as my bestie Dblock asked, where does it sit at 60-70 mph?

Skezza what does your sdi sit at 70?

Well, it sits at about 2100 when doing 60MPH, because at 58, it's doing pretty much bang on 2000. So I'd say it's probably doing mid to upper 2000's at 70. I'll check for deffo later. Either way, it's not screaming, it's surprisingly smooth at motorway speeds.

Yeah, i'd say around 2500rpm at 70mph, never really breaks a sweat cruising on the motorway, does the SDI. The only time it feels a bit lacking to me is between 40-50mph when getting back up to speed.

A bit late now, but i'd definitely chime on cheaking your gearbox oil, as seal at the back where the selector goes tends to perish and leak, and over time that leaves the fifth gear cooking. As i found to my cost last year when I hadn't noticed the leak getting bigger, and my missus took it for a trip down the A1 and fifth went completely. Still, managed to tottle around with the rest of the gears for two months until I found a suitable replacement box.

Apart from that and the power steering pump giving up the ghost i've never had no other major issues. 142k on the clock. Just look after it.