Hellfords Coaxial vs Tweeters

Hi All :wave:

I am in the lucky possession of a gift card that I can use in Hellfords but no other shops that sell car audio equipment. I thought I might try to finally sort the annoying tweeter lisp that I get from the stock VW speakers.

The main VW Speakers are fine for my use, it's just the tweeters that have an annoying hissy sound when someone sings an sssssssssssss

So my options are to replace the main speakers and tweeters, replace just the tweeters or take both out and put in a single coaxial type speaker. I'd prefer to have tweeters to avoid the sound coming from the footwell, but I don't know if you can get any decent ones, or if they will all have a crap sound.

My budget is ideally about £50, I know that won't get me much, but I just want to fix the annoying hiss.

This is one option:

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/sound-systems/vibe-slick-6-component-speakers

Do you think they would be better than the stock speakers?

Does anyone have ideas? I know Hellfords isn't the best shop to be using but essentially it's a free present

Well this has been a complete disaster. I really need to stop trying to do things, I always make a mess of them.

happens to everyone. What's happened buddy?

Stupid thing has come with a combi bypass so the door speaker and the tweeter connect to the same box, but on the Lupo the part where the tweeter and speaker join together is a loom behind the dash, so now I've got to run a new cable from the DIN area to each of the tweeters. Going to have to take the lower dash off today to thread the stupid cable.

Meanwhile I managed to break the connectors on one of the tweeters whilst I was taking it apart to fit it in the OEM mount, so had to solder that back together, I've probably knackered it since I have the soldering skills of a blind elephant. Also broken two ISO looms so far :censored:

Then I've got to fit this stupid thing in the back of the DIN area.

loom.jpg

This is turning out to be a huge pain the ass, wish I hadn't bothered.

Managed to pull the new tweeter cables without taking the lower dash off, so that was slightly less painful than expected. New tweeters are fitted but not connected to anything yet. Main speakers waiting to be dremeled so they can fit over the pins (holes slightly too small). Tomorrow hopefully some new connectors will arrive and I can replace the above ISO loom hack job with something a bit simpler, putting the ISO connector directly onto the bypass cables. I've found the bypass boxes will fit in the gaps between the outside of the DIN cage and the dash plastic, so that's one less thing to worry about. Hope this all works in the end :|

Well I hooked it up and to my relief the speakers still work, despite my clumsiness. The annoying sSs sound is gone, but there's a slightly annoying T sound, not sure if it's the speakers, the cd player or my wiring :surprised: There's also a wierd resonnance on one particular note, no idea what's causing it :angry2:

Haven't fitted everything properly though, once all the bits arrive hopefully I can reduce the number of connectors between the cd player and the speakers. Still I think it's better than the old one