bought a SDI

weslangdon

My SDI is running but waiting for an MOT; but in the meantime my TDI has just passed its test, yes I bought one, and I love it, the in gear acceleration from 60 mph is miles better than my 1.4 sport. The previous owner has already fitted bigger front discs so it stops ok too. My son will get the SDI when it's sorted as his 75bhp 1.4 Lupo is showing its age [and lots of warning lights]

that's my experience too, my sons car boiled up in traffic yesterday, no lasting harm done but another nail in its coffin as far as I'm concerned

Boiled up? Overheated? Really? I've seen plenty of issues with Lupo's but overheating isn't one of them. You checked the coolant and what not? Thermostat too? Electric fan kicking in?

Very strange. Still, doesn't change my opinion at all for me. The SDI and TDI really are the ones to go for. That said, I had a lot of good miles out of my 1.0E.

I haven't had the chance to go through things on the car yet, all of the above need checking though but because he left the fluid reservoir lid off for a few days before I replaced it it I've a feeling it was just an airlock

I haven't had the chance to go through things on the car yet, all of the above need checking though but because he left the fluid reservoir lid off for a few days before I replaced it it I've a feeling it was just an airlock

Very possible.

looking like heater matrix, wet passenger footwell steam through the vents. This was a serious issue for VW going back to the 1980s with MK2 Golfs the recall costs were horrific.

Wow, a blown heater matrix hmmm. Big job. Have you thought about running some sodium silicate through it? Liquid glass as it's otherwise known?

Sodium Silicate, well Steel Seal is just that. Most people don't run it through their heater matrix because it can block them, but in your case, the heater matrix is ****ed anyway, so it might just be worth doing it.

Depends how desperate you are to keep the car on the road.

• Like 1

not in the least, I have too many cars as things are, it's going to a young bloke near me who breaks and re-cycles them

Shame like, the greabox will be worth a bit though, they're rare as rocking horse ****.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys know if the SDI has oil squirters?

Heh. Not a clue mate. Geoff would probably know to be fair, I think he's had his SDI's block apart.

Edited by Skezza

• 2 months later...

SDI has just passed its MOT, sounds like a tractor but the engine is willing enough, the gearbox and gear change is a delight, glow plug light is illuminated so thats my next task

The SDI doesn't really need glow plugs in my experience. Mine has started both cold and winter, really without the need.

Have you dropped the RPM slightly as per my guide to smooth it out a bit?