bought a SDI

weslangdon

I think that's why turbos and veg oil don't mix. If you have a turbo it's harder to inject fuel due to higher cylinder pressure? Veg oil hates high pressure and that's why PD doesn't get on with veg oil at all. I don't think even twin tanks work with it or well for very long.

No idea. Personally, if I had a PD, I wouldn't even consider running it on veg oil. I know they're an older engine, but they're still pretty complex and the turbos are susceptible on some models. I know the Passat's have had issues with turbos, so why run the risk by adding veg oil?

Edited by Skezza
  • Like 1

No idea. Personally, if I had a PD, I wouldn't even consider running it on veg oil. I know they're an older engine, but they're still pretty complex and the turbos are susceptible on some models. I know the Passat's have had issues with turbos, so why run the risk by adding veg oil?

The PD injector design doesn't like veg oil at all but neither does alot of common rail. I would consider making veg oil if I had a few diesels in the house.

The PD injector design doesn't like veg oil at all but neither does alot of common rail. I would consider making veg oil if I had a few diesels in the house.

Get an SDI ;)

Too slow lol. I have been driving a 2.2 i cdti and just remapped it to nearly 200bhp. It flies!

so does the fuel gauge. I drove an Insignia with the same engine in stock form and was horrified at how **** the MPG was. Best I got was about 50MPG but more realistically especially getting 45MPG. VW are getting 70MPG out of similar sized engines.

The SDI is slow but has quite a nice torquey mid range making it far more comfortable on motorways etc than the 1.0. Plus the MPG and reliability speaks for itself. Perhaps I've got a good'un but engine and mechanically, it's been scarily reliable considering the mileage I do. Everything that has gone wrong has been typical Lupo (pedal box) or just wear (shock absorbers). I had plenty of issues with my 1.0 from similar mileage.

If you asked me which I'd prefer to drive to Europe and back, it would be this for sure.

• Like 1

It was a honda engine not a vauxhall (yuk).

I agree with you but not many people are getting 70mpg. A guy I know has a new Leon 2l tdi and that's meant to be 70mpg but he isn't getting more than 45-50. Yes driving habits have a lot to do with it but still these silly high mpgs are lies plus you have the expense of a complex engine. I agree that sdis are bomb proof things that aren't taxed so last forever. I've done the whole slow car veg oil thing I had a 1.5 106. I don't think I could do it know. My remapped arosa is on the limit of being way to slow for me too. I'm not a boy racer but I don't have the patients for slow cars any more they infuriate me. I know once your doing 70 on the motorway your all good but getting there or when you slow down and you need to get back up to speed seems to take an eternity.

But if I was really broke again and needed to save every penny a sdi is really a great but. Yes it's not fast at all but it makes up for it in reliability and low cost motoring. Swings and roundabouts really.

It was a honda engine not a vauxhall (yuk).

I agree with you but not many people are getting 70mpg. A guy I know has a new Leon 2l tdi and that's meant to be 70mpg but he isn't getting more than 45-50. Yes driving habits have a lot to do with it but still these silly high mpgs are lies plus you have the expense of a complex engine. I agree that sdis are bomb proof things that aren't taxed so last forever. I've done the whole slow car veg oil thing I had a 1.5 106. I don't think I could do it know. My remapped arosa is on the limit of being way to slow for me too. I'm not a boy racer but I don't have the patients for slow cars any more they infuriate me. I know once your doing 70 on the motorway your all good but getting there or when you slow down and you need to get back up to speed seems to take an eternity.

But if I was really broke again and needed to save every penny a sdi is really a great but. Yes it's not fast at all but it makes up for it in reliability and low cost motoring. Swings and roundabouts really.

If I wanted all out revs, I'd probably buy a Punto HGT, or maybe a redtop Corsa (if done properly), the BHP per penny is ridiculously good on those. But they're all out thrasher cars.

I used to run an old Merc 3 litre diesel on a blend of diesel and vegetable oil with no issues but it was naturally aspirated. I think the Merc om606a turbo units are ok with vegetable oil but in in practice I'd guess it will almost always be a blend of the two

If I wanted all out revs, I'd probably buy a Punto HGT, or maybe a redtop Corsa (if done properly), the BHP per penny is ridiculously good on those. But they're all out thrasher cars.

Closet chav lol.

Also why have a fast fwd car?

Edited by Dblock
  • Like 2

lmao

my iccle 3 pot derv does me fine. but they dont come without problems. im with skezza on the straight derv cost effective ways..... the 3 pot is the best of both worlds for me pokey power with mpg..... best ive had so far is 63mpg without trying.

Closet chav lol.

Also why have a fast fwd car?

;) Naturally.

As I said, cheap horses. If you want a fast RWD, you'll spend more, much more. I can find you a slow RWD drive for cheap right away, but finding something like a tidy S2000, or Turbo-charged MX5 for anywhere near the kind of money we're talking is pretty hard.

As it goes, I don't mind Punto HGT's. They're not fast, but they're nippy hot hatches, and they're perhaps one of the few cars where there's tuning options available. an unrestricted air intake system + straight exhaust actually translates into noticeable performance improvement, in fact, something in the region of 30-50bhp which makes me wonder what the hell FIAT were doing when they engineered that vehicle.

Redtop Corsa is slightly faster but comes with all the fun of general bodgeness.

lmao

my iccle 3 pot derv does me fine. but they dont come without problems. im with skezza on the straight derv cost effective ways..... the 3 pot is the best of both worlds for me pokey power with mpg..... best ive had so far is 63mpg without trying.

I do love the TDI's. I'm extremely jealous of those who have them. For one, they have the updated ECU with plenty of optional extras that are accessible on no other Lupo's. Plus you get the nicer interior and they usually come with some tidy creature comforts like leccy mirrors and air con and of course, the major performance benefits of a turbo, which I'd no doubt enjoy. I think one thing is for certain though, those who say "oh go TDI because faster lulz" are talking out their arse. It's a compromise. MPG, reliability, everything, all needs to be taken into account. In my case, depreciation too, as I drive more miles than most (25-30k a year) therefore I tend to full circle back to bangernomics eventually.

For me, the SDI is a real workhorse. I never worry about turbo's or anything, I just worry if I can get up to 60MPH on a dual carriageway :D Right now, my biggest worry is when I'm getting my bloody cambelt done. I'm playing a dangerous game of cambelt roulette right now. That said, they don't tend to quit, they give good economy, and the engine will live forever if you treat it nicely, service it etc.... and btw, apart from the air filter, servicing is a doddle.

Edited by Skezza

It is true enough. The tdi was the perfect comprise for me. The sdi so long as you look after it as you said will last for ever and there is pretty much nothing to go wrong on them. To be honest it's the end of an era when the sdis stop. Yes tdi's are all fancy and mine has been good but others have turbo and injector problems and it's not cheap to fix. Also as you said you pay for the performance will less mpg and less reliability.

It is true enough. The tdi was the perfect comprise for me. The sdi so long as you look after it as you said will last for ever and there is pretty much nothing to go wrong on them. To be honest it's the end of an era when the sdis stop. Yes tdi's are all fancy and mine has been good but others have turbo and injector problems and it's not cheap to fix. Also as you said you pay for the performance will less mpg and less reliability.

Well, I already consider it the end because VW aren't using the SDI engine in anything other than their industrial applications now. The MK5 Golf was the last of the SDI golfs and I think the 9N Polo was the last of the SDI Polo's. I guess there are Caddy's and what not, but really, if you want something like a hatchback, you're on borrowed time. I suppose the next SDI to go for is the 9N Polo. Boring as **** I know, but slightly bigger and more creature comforts. I like the 9N Polo SDI Twist because it seems to bring all the features of an upmarket vehicle with the roughish reliability of a dirty SDI. No idea if the engine shares any similarities with the 1.7 SDI which we all know is super easy to work with though.

It's not just about the performance with the TDI's though is it? It's the EU and their war on diesel engines. It's all about emissions nowadays and if it was up to the EU, every old diesel would be destroyed tomorrow. It's no surprise that we're now seeing little pissy 1.0 petrol engines with a turbocharger attached as well. Of course, these emissions readings are really good, that's great in the short term, give it a few years when loads of these turbos start going bang and we'll see if it was such a great idea then.

It's really hard to tell what my next car will be to be honest, will it be a Lupo SDI, a Polo SDI or something else entirely? It won't be a Golf SDI to be fair :D

• Like 1

Well, I already consider it the end because VW aren't using the SDI engine in anything other than their industrial applications now. The MK5 Golf was the last of the SDI golfs and I think the 9N Polo was the last of the SDI Polo's. I guess there are Caddy's and what not, but really, if you want something like a hatchback, you're on borrowed time. I suppose the next SDI to go for is the 9N Polo. Boring as **** I know, but slightly bigger and more creature comforts. I like the 9N Polo SDI Twist because it seems to bring all the features of an upmarket vehicle with the roughish reliability of a dirty SDI. No idea if the engine shares any similarities with the 1.7 SDI which we all know is super easy to work with though.

It's not just about the performance with the TDI's though is it? It's the EU and their war on diesel engines. It's all about emissions nowadays and if it was up to the EU, every old diesel would be destroyed tomorrow. It's no surprise that we're now seeing little pissy 1.0 petrol engines with a turbocharger attached as well. Of course, these emissions readings are really good, that's great in the short term, give it a few years when loads of these turbos start going bang and we'll see if it was such a great idea then.

It's really hard to tell what my next car will be to be honest, will it be a Lupo SDI, a Polo SDI or something else entirely? It won't be a Golf SDI to be fair :D

That is true but 99% of diesels have more to go wrong than petrols. DMF, clutch, injectors, EGR, turbo, super high pressure fuel pump etc etc. Inability to use high %biodiesel or veg oil. I think modern petrols are more reliable than modern diesels. I think hybrid is the way forward personally.

That is true but 99% of diesels have more to go wrong than petrols. DMF, clutch, injectors, EGR, turbo, super high pressure fuel pump etc etc. Inability to use high %biodiesel or veg oil. I think modern petrols are more reliable than modern diesels. I think hybrid is the way forward personally.

Heh. Strange how we all have different opinions, I wouldn't touch a hybrid with a barge pole.

• Like 1

Heh. Strange how we all have different opinions, I wouldn't touch a hybrid with a barge pole.

It's the way forward IMO. For 90% of people hybrids are better than diesels. Cheaper to run and more reliable. My brother has a leaf. It's a great car to drive. Reallly nippy and public charging is free.

It's the way forward IMO. For 90% of people hybrids are better than diesels. Cheaper to run and more reliable. My brother has a leaf. It's a great car to drive. Reallly nippy and public charging is free.

Isn't that an electric car though? I don't think you can charge hybrids. I get the allure of the electric vehicle, I also worry that in 10 years time, we'll have hundreds if not thousands of vehicles that are scrapped because the batteries have failed and the cost of replacement is too much. 100k miles really is all it takes to actually kill one of them as well, as many on Toyota forums will tell you!

The cost of replacement? About £3000. Yep, you read that right, £3000. So, that car which is 10 years old, has 100k miles and a now dead battery will cost £3000 to repair. Just how many people are actually going to do that? You can see where I'm going with this.

Now, there is a silver lining. You can have a reconditioned battery installed for about £800 I think I read somewhere. Here's the thing though, a 10 year old Prius, with a dead battery still requires £800 spending to keep it on the road and I just don't see people doing it. Don't forget, hybrids use the electrical motor powered by the hybrid battery to spin up the petrol motor, so dead battery, dead car, effectively speaking.

I'm sorry but you have bought into the hype it's not like that at all. The battery's last much longer than expected. Plus you could take them out of the car and use them for your house.

Prius battery's last forever near enough. You get mk1 priuses 1999 going string with original battery's with 150+k miles.

you both have very good points.... loving this post

i love diesels.. ive had straight dervs and tdis.... and they both have very good points. but the way the government are going against taxing diesels soon is putting me off.

i maybe soon swaying into small petrol territory because of this. the only problem was for me the 1.0 arosa i had was a very quirky character.... but like flogging a dead horse on the motorway or big hills....

i would personally never go hybrid etc.... as ive known a few ppl have prius etc... and they have either caught fire or gone tits up with battery etc.

the 1.0 turbos are looking promising. my friend has a focus ecoboost and man does it fly. 125hp 50mpg and only 20 quid tax. these kinda small petrols are making me think. but how long will the government start picking at these to line there pockets lol

• Like 1

you both have very good points.... loving this post

i love diesels.. ive had straight dervs and tdis.... and they both have very good points. but the way the government are going against taxing diesels soon is putting me off.

i maybe soon swaying into small petrol territory because of this. the only problem was for me the 1.0 arosa i had was a very quirky character.... but like flogging a dead horse on the motorway or big hills....

i would personally never go hybrid etc.... as ive known a few ppl have prius etc... and they have either caught fire or gone tits up with battery etc.

the 1.0 turbos are looking promising. my friend has a focus ecoboost and man does it fly. 125hp 50mpg and only 20 quid tax. these kinda small petrols are making me think. but how long will the government start picking at these to line there pockets lol

I think the biggest concern now is the government and EU's anti diesel policies. I really do believe, if the government could walk in my house and steal my keys, they would. They would take my car to the crusher and force me (probably at gunpoint) to walk to my nearest Ford dealer and buy a ****ing 1.0 ecotec..... just so Boris can drive his petrol guzzling 4 litre Jaguar. We all know which is worse for the environment, but it makes Dave and his pals feel good if he's crunching down on the people in old diesels. Ultimately, it's a regressive tax, because young people like myself who are still climbing the world will naturally buy older cars, unless we fancy being in debt for years.

I couldn't go back to a 1.0 Lupo or Arosa. The green Lupo screamed on the motorway. My red SDI may not have much improvement performance wise, but is smooth on the motorway, and that is something I'd miss going to a 1.0.

I'm nervous about 1.0 turbos as well. You're sticking a pretty big turbo on a small pea sized engine, in an attempt to bring up performance and reduce emissions. Five years down the line, you've got customers coming back with turbo failure or some other form of engine trouble. Absolutely guaranteed. No doubt, servicing will be one of these long life **** too, so people will be servicing them after 16k miles or something stupid.

I'm sorry but you have bought into the hype it's not like that at all. The battery's last much longer than expected. Plus you could take them out of the car and use them for your house.

Prius battery's last forever near enough. You get mk1 priuses 1999 going string with original battery's with 150+k miles.

Sorry DBlock, I have to disagree. Batteries DON'T last forever. Batteries provide energy through electrochemical reactions, and like all chemical reactions, irreversible changes take place every time a reaction occurs. It really is only a matter of time before the battery is irreversibly worn out, simple as that. Just like a phone battery, digital camera battery, double AA rechargeable etc.

I often see the terms 'Modern battery technology' and 'improvements in battery technology' used in articles about new phones and mp3 players etc. This lark all really came about when the non-removable battery appeared. What is battery technology? In reality, 'battery technology' doesn't exist. Li-Po batteries have been around for years and there is no such thing as compressing energy. The difference now, is that we understand how Li-Po batteries work, how they react to heat, how they react to cold, how they react to hard discharges, how they react to being left discharged, how they react to being left charged, how they react to shallow discharges and ultimately, we're now able to implement that logic from a software basis. I once worked on some Android battery code for a major phone manufacturer, what I realized was the reason why phone batteries last for years, isn't because they're 'better' designed than they were before, we simply understand how to protect them using software. I could tell you numerous ways in-which both Android and Apple are able to save your battery from quick death, which used to happen in iPods and early iPhones. Now, Toyota will have used similar techniques to protect their hybrid battery, and depending on how these are implemented they can obviously protect the battery somewhat, but inevitably, it will wear out. That's a fact.

I know that a lot of people have had Prius batteries go after about 100k miles. Toyota, naturally, won't cover the replacement under warranty, so you've got new battery for 3-4 grand or recon at £800. Now, I don't know what the recon batteries are like, but naturally, I would suggest that, but even then, £800 on a vehicle that's 10 years old. It's not happening. You will end up with dead cars, that can't be driven and are either broken for parts or scrapped.

You can charge hybrids with small mods. I'm actually looking at getting a mk1 insight or I might get a leaf. Also great thing about a leaf is it's pretty rapid round town

Agreed. I've heard lots of people say the Prius are really pacey, especially round town, but fuel economy isn't all that apparently.

the Prius is a horrible thing to drive, the narrow tyres auto box and the battery weight all contribute to a very odd driving experience, the bizarre looks don't help much either. My fairly limited use [one day only] gave worse fuel consumption than an everyday petrol motor such as a Focus or a 307

the Prius is a horrible thing to drive, the narrow tyres auto box and the battery weight all contribute to a very odd driving experience, the bizarre looks don't help much either. My fairly limited use [one day only] gave worse fuel consumption than an everyday petrol motor such as a Focus or a 307

Top Gear achieved 43MPG.

An insight only weighs 750kg.

No nothing about the Honda Hybrids. If they're a Honda though, I imagine they're pretty spot on.