Project Rally lupo!

cj1

Changed front slam panel and crash bar for a non damaged one, and replaced suspension arm. Now got to paint the new sign that i picked up yesterday.

probably start lapping the new valves into the head tonight as well! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Soooooooo.... Head is back on the engine, with 16 new valves.... Engine will be coming out soon so we can fit the cambelt cover, and as part of the removal the polo DCD gearbox I have acquired will be going in. 4.0:1 diff ratio to 4.27:1 ..... HUGE improvement over when the engine was originally fitted with a CWX with 3.8ish. 

New headlight put in.... Not too much work to do before the next rally on the 9th October! 

• 2 weeks later...

Update as I keep forgetting.

Sunday 25th September

• Engine & Gearbox is fitted to the car
  • Throughout the week all wiring and front of the car was put back on

Saturday 1st October

• Filled engine with water - leaking from thermostat housing, removed and put silicon in the groove as well as the o-ring. Refitted. Waited a few hrs.
  • Went out, noticed water dripping from back of engine still. Inspection showed that the pipe on the back of the engine from thermostat housing to block was leaking. Thermostat housing off again. O-ring on this pipe had swelled and wasn't seating correctly. Put a spare one on and refitted / sealed thermostat housing. 
  • Engine was started very briefly with no water (It lives!!!!) 
  • Loud noises from gearbox which went away when clutch was pressed
  • Replacement wing painted and left to dry overnight

Sunday 2nd October

• Filled with water
  • fitted new wing
  • decided to take for a short test drive regardless of noise. 
  • Drove a few miles and the difference in the box was really noticeable. The acceleration had improved greatly. At this point I've left the pipe from the brake servo to the intake off in a hope to get used to it without the servo assistance.
  • Went for a more spirited drive. Burning smell and loud grinding noise. Loss of 4th gear. 
  • Slowly drove home. Part way there the shift light started flashing on and off to indicate high water temp. 103 degrees. 
  • Looks as though the new thermostat isn't opening, return pipe is stone cold compared to the top pipe. 
  • Gearbox came off around 17:00. Release bearing was done for, cracked and burnt in places. Some oil inside bell housing but unable to identify where it came from so far.
  • Old gearbox from the 1.0 was fitted. Bit late to go testing it, not sorted lights out yet. 

All in all a happy / sad weekend. 6 days to go till the next rally! 

• Like 1

Sooooo, intermittent thermostat causing overheating issues ".. got a new one, still having issues. Baffled. 

Anyway, took it out completely now. Will just take longer to warm up.

gone from standard 1.0 front ARB (18mm) to 22mm. Initial impressions good, bring on thenrally! 8 or so hours to go!!!!

IMG_6655.JPG

Well, not only did we finish , came 2nd in class and 26th overall! 53 started the event! Really really please with the result! The car was perfect, maybe a bit too soft in the corners but nothing too bad! 

Update to follow tomorrow, tired! 

• Like 1

here is one of the videos, I think it's fairly clear from them we weren't trying as hard as we could have all day, but the aim was more to get a finish with the new engine. Only issue we had on the day was with a leaking oil filler cap that had us puzzled for a while where it was coming from, when the entire cover was full of oil! Suspected a spark plug or something at first.

It would be a MASSIVE help if you could go and like the "Corkills Volkswagen" Facebook page and like the two posts of us on there. It really would mean a lot. Along with "mefmotorsport" , who will be now working on cars a lot more, expect to see some interesting projects on there! 

Next for the Lupo is stiffer front springs , it still rolls quite a lot in corners! But overall we're really made up with the result, certainly at the bottom of the learning curve but as we get more seat time, I know the car is capable of mo

On 09/10/2016 at 0:13 AM, cj1 said:

Sooooo, intermittent thermostat causing overheating issues ".. got a new one, still having issues. Baffled. 

Anyway, took it out completely now. Will just take longer to warm up.

gone from standard 1.0 front ARB (18mm) to 22mm. Initial impressions good, bring on thenrally! 8 or so hours to go!!!!

IMG_6655.JPG

Was the anti roll bar from a lupo GTI? Im struggling to find stabilisers/droplinks for it (other than vw)

Were did you get your droplinks from? 

great thread btw B) Some real effort gone into it

1 minute ago, James_VW said:

Was the anti roll bar from a lupo GTI? Im struggling to find stabilisers/droplinks for it (other than vw)

Were did you get your droplinks from? 

great thread btw B) Some real effort gone into it

I think it was a polo GTI one. 99% it was. @DentedRims may be able to advise you as I got it off them, including the drop links. Probably useful for when I need new ones as well! 

Winter project list

• Get underneath and cut/grind off all sealant and screws that are part of the body and no longer used.. paint over
  • Remove all sealant from inside car - repaint where it was
  • Stiffer suspension 
  • Polycarbonate windows & cut doors to just outer shells
  • Windscreen heater

Edited by cj1

As always the urge to do jobs took over and the sealant is now all gone from the rear of the car, inside... To be honest probably going to just leave the front inside. Looking at it there's not much more than the rear and that only weighed in at around 100 grams. Seems a lot of effort especially getting in there and then cleaning it etc..

Going to clean it up, put seats back in and call inside done for now. This weekend will likely begin on the cutting of brackets etc, and removing sealant from the wheel wells. 

Ordered polycarb windows, only the fronts for now, trying to not go daft on spending all at once on the car, despite the urge to "do it all now"! 

I think it would be good to look for some sponsors at some point as well. Not really sure on this at the minute, but even small help would be beneficial. 

Edited by cj1

Took seats out and hoovered all the mess up. Won't be removing seam sealant with a grinder again anytime soon, inside anyway lol!

Removed both windows and the winder mechanism/regulator in readiness for the polycarbs. Was only expecting these to be dispatched at the end of the week, but just had an email saying they had been sent today, happy days! 

Only downside is I won't have time to fit them till probably Sunday.. I hate things sitting there, always just want to fit them! 

• Like 1

Brill thread and so informative!

I am just about to strip a newly acquired and tired Lupo 1.0 for rally prep. My 13 year old daughter has the rally bug after doing Rally experiences in a Ka and Impreza!

We are hoping to enter the car in the F1000 championship mid-summer next year, giving enough time to prep the car on a shoe string and get her some experience in the car etc.

The OMP cage has been delivered along with the plumbed in extinguishers, the FIA cutout switches etc.

Once again top thread!

1 hour ago, Matty4 said:

Brill thread and so informative!

I am just about to strip a newly acquired and tired Lupo 1.0 for rally prep. My 13 year old daughter has the rally bug after doing Rally experiences in a Ka and Impreza!

We are hoping to enter the car in the F1000 championship mid-summer next year, giving enough time to prep the car on a shoe string and get her some experience in the car etc.

The OMP cage has been delivered along with the plumbed in extinguishers, the FIA cutout switches etc.

Once again top thread!

Ah okay, nice! Hope you also get a build thread going. Where are you based? 

Has she done her BARS test yet? Drop me a message or add me on Facebook and if you need any help or advice with anything I'm more than happy to help where I can! Got a lot of spares too if you end up needing anything.

I think the main driver for me perhaps going over the top on the thread and detailing even small things was that I've seen a few on here which say they've done things but don't really go in depth with it, which sometimes has left me scratching my head for a while! 

Edited-  just realised you said 13 year old, is she going to be driving? I'll be honest I try and not read the blue book all that often so I'm not sure of the minimum driver ages! 

Edited by cj1

Yes she's 13yrs at the minute but can enter the f1000 rally's as a driver at 14yrs old after doing 3 auto tests and then her junior BAR assessment. It seems the F1000 route although restrictive is the only way to get her starter at her age....other than that she's got to be 17....

Im based in Sheffield and there's a local disused airbase (Norton Lightwood) that caters for 11 to 16 years old learner drivers by profession driving instructors. If you take your own vehicle it's £10 an hour to use the facilities without their input so this is where we hope to be sorting her auto test skills out prior to assessment next spring.

yeah I might start a build thread off....but I guess you've sort of led the way really.

Any advice would be appreciated and I'll look for you on FB.

1 minute ago, Matty4 said:

Yes she's 13yrs at the minute but can enter the f1000 rally's as a driver at 14yrs old after doing 3 auto tests and then her junior BAR assessment. It seems the F1000 route although restrictive is the only way to get her starter at her age....other than that she's got to be 17....

Im based in Sheffield and there's a local disused airbase (Norton Lightwood) that caters for 11 to 16 years old learner drivers by profession driving instructors. If you take your own vehicle it's £10 an hour to use the facilities without their input so this is where we hope to be sorting her auto test skills out prior to assessment next spring.

yeah I might start a build thread off....but I guess you've sort of led the way really.

Any advice would be appreciated and I'll look for you on FB.

Yeah I realised that, edited the post after realising the age restrictions.  £10 an hour is really good value as well. 

Another useful thing may be seeing if she can navigate in other cars as well to get experience of how rallies run and just seat time in a car really. Minimum age for that is 12. 

Calvin Woods on Facebook :-) 

1 hour ago, WRC said:

you are allowed to race with the window opened? we do not have this option.. 

Having it down slightly as in the video, like 2 inches or so isn't a problem, you can't have it down lots though. If we had them up fully then the steaming up would have been too bad to see anything! 

PS you have been quiet on here lately. Any progress with your car / racing? Keeping an eye on your thread. 

our regulation states that the window must be fully closed :) and the officials are checking it every time you exit the pit lane. i am still evaluating the power loss when using the interior ventilation... :))) no AC though.  but our races takes only 25-30min..its okay. i loose 2kg each race day :))) in august. 

silent,..due to job issues. the car is working fine...so i decided to try another championship next year. this year the last race will be on 19, but due to my issues, i do not know if i can make it. . still 3rd place in the last race, so all good. still learning the track..the car limit... :) 

http://www.rotac.ro/ something completely different..next year, with other cars. here are some pics from the latest rotac race  https://www.facebook.com/pg/onracetv/photos/?tab=album&album_id=293261601056847 so, less limitation, and different tactics.  now i am investing in swaybars, different minor stuff, and deciding if these worth buying:   https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/magnecor/magnecor-ht-leads-vw-lupo-1-4-16v-1-6-16v-gti/  any ideas? 

i delighted myself on a sunny autumn Saturday with a car drive through the mountains...100 km  of curves and forests..and good asphalt. very few cars on road. the lupo is a wonder. on nankang sr 2 semi sliks...the car is fun fun fun. i has a stupid smile on my face..for the entire trip. :)) 

i am still amazed by the chassis. see how the are 2 wheels in air? 

13716137_1391781067502509_4321647580630131450_n.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/11/2016 at 8:25 AM, WRC said:

our regulation states that the window must be fully closed :) and the officials are checking it every time you exit the pit lane. i am still evaluating the power loss when using the interior ventilation... :))) no AC though.  but our races takes only 25-30min..its okay. i loose 2kg each race day :))) in august. 

silent,..due to job issues. the car is working fine...so i decided to try another championship next year. this year the last race will be on 19, but due to my issues, i do not know if i can make it. . still 3rd place in the last race, so all good. still learning the track..the car limit... :) 

http://www.rotac.ro/ something completely different..next year, with other cars. here are some pics from the latest rotac race  https://www.facebook.com/pg/onracetv/photos/?tab=album&album_id=293261601056847 so, less limitation, and different tactics.  now i am investing in swaybars, different minor stuff, and deciding if these worth buying:   https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/magnecor/magnecor-ht-leads-vw-lupo-1-4-16v-1-6-16v-gti/  any ideas? 

i delighted myself on a sunny autumn Saturday with a car drive through the mountains...100 km  of curves and forests..and good asphalt. very few cars on road. the lupo is a wonder. on nankang sr 2 semi sliks...the car is fun fun fun. i has a stupid smile on my face..for the entire trip. :)) 

i am still amazed by the chassis. see how the are 2 wheels in air? 

13716137_1391781067502509_4321647580630131450_n.jpg

Sounds good! Not sure about the leads. Yes, too soft suspension maybe causing it to lift? 

Been having a nightmare with these polycarbs. Drivers door seal coming away from the door causing window to not sit properly. 

New one £120 from VW. Contacted who I got the doors from as he was supposed to be giving me my original doors back when he got rid of the shell (put them on the car temporarily so he could keep it dry )- turns out he's "let them go with the chassis". 

Anyway bought a new door and went to birmingham this morning to collect it. Was going to wait till another evening to get the car out of the garage and then fit it, as always couldn't sit in watching Tv knowing it was there waiting lol. 

New door fitted and polycarb window sits perfectly in the seal. Now to drill through and put two bolts through to hold it up! 

IMG_7024.JPG