Relays

Dblock

Hi guys,

I'm fine with mechanical stuff but this is just confusing. How in blue hell do I get to the relays. I've got 2 relays I want to change. The 109 and the intermittent wiper relay, I just don't see how I can access them?

Does anyone have a how to or walkthrough?

Cheers

There are some screws or bolts holding the fuse box in, then it drops down slightly and you can get your hands in to change the relays, sorry for the brief description, I must of done it about 3 years ago :)

There are some screws or bolts holding the fuse box in, then it drops down slightly and you can get your hands in to change the relays, sorry for the brief description, I must of done it about 3 years ago :)

Hmm so it's a tight fit. I'll have another look tonight it looks impossible to me lol.

sit in drivers seat.

remove fusebox panel.

remove the two screws and front plastic panel.

move fusebox out the way, lift up and push back.

graze knuckles, change the '601' relay and then find 19 and change it to 99.

• Like 1

sit in drivers seat.

remove fusebox panel.

remove the two screws and front plastic panel.

move fusebox out the way, lift up and push back.

graze knuckles, change the '601' relay and then find 19 and change it to 99.

As payment for this valuble information I present you with a gif.

Youre_awesome_gif.gif

It does indeed look like a proper knuckle scraper.

Why you changeing the relays?

Well the 109 I think is to do with my intermittent problem with the car not starting and cutting out. But this only happened twice in 2 months. But still if I change it I can rule it out.

The 99 is an intermittent wiper relay so you can program the time of between screen wipes.

I used to have a lupo that did the same thing as your , a silver 1.4 petrol never did get to the bottom of why it did it though

Mine was is more likely due to the relay. As the glow plug lights doesn't come on and you can't hear the fuel pump prime. Leave it for a minute or so and the lights come on and fuel pump primes.

If we're talking knuckles, try taking fifth gear out of a gearbox with your main tools being a large hammer, a chisel and a wheelbrace.

The car has no wheels, you need access at all angles and the box fluid is coming out hard/fast.

The island of the parcel shelf can only save you for so long.

• 3 weeks later...

My brother tried this on his car but he got stuck.

Hi everyone,
Was attempting to change my relay 109 today but ran into some difficulty. Unscrewing the fuse box doesn't give enough manoeuvrability to get my hands in to the relays behind so I took the panel from underneath off. I was met with this (picture) which I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the wires from. The whole thing itself could be taken out of its holder but doesn't give enough room to get in behind it to the relays. How do you disconnect the wires? Is there an easier way?

IMG_1808.jpg

i used to put up with grazed knuckles and bruises before i ended up taking half the dash apart to change the 109 relay in my polo, keep a few spare as they do go interimttently

are your wipers going off randomly too?

They unclip from under and above and pull towards you, I'm sure you can unclip the whole bracket tho from the tab on each side and it gives enough space to get to the relays, it's all slotted in see so you undo the lug on either side, swing it towards you and pull out.