project lupo 2.3 V5 engine conversion

D&G

so finaly got round to starting this little :surprised: project,

sent the golf ecu off to dash master to get the immob removed and it came back today, retried it in the golf just to make sure everything still worked and then started stripping

1_zpslxczi7mx.jpg

2_zpsdxveobef.jpg

3_zpsed2uqgys.jpg

4_zpsvcviv7mo.jpg

5_zps4rlpd91w.jpg

6_zpsg398rfse.jpg

7_zpspho6kgx6.jpg

8_zps360nbnia.jpg

9_zpsrpin3jlv.jpg

10_zpstfubevzd.jpg

11_zps763oior7.jpg

12_zpszjli3avo.jpg

13_zpslslgui8y.jpg

So you're harvesting a good car for this project then?

yes got it at a good price and will break it once finished to help fund the project

I was just saying to a friend the other day that I'd love to see a lupo V5 conversion! Will be following this with interest. Hope it turns out well!

yes me too, there will be a lot of fabrication involved and ill also be tapping members up for info on other mod like best brake upgrades ect

like will the gti rear beam fit a 1.0 I know the front is a wider track but is the rear as well?

A 172 kangoo. That interests me alot more than this. Do you have a build log for that?

:wave:

I have a few photos of the build, it was a lot easier than this build will be tho pretty much bolts straight in

Hell no, I'm going to rebuild it into a car and sell it for premium prices.

Right. V5 into a Lupo, how would I do it ?

Errrrm.

Providing the mini engine and box fit without chopping into legs.

I'd use a TDI/GTI hydro pedalbox bolting on the mk4 potentiometer as it is V5 specific.

GTI/TDI gearshift.

All V5 water pipes and a mk3 vr6 radiator, should all bolt up nicely requiring no **** on.

Seperate out the engine/ancillary lighting loom stuff and then start laying the mk4 stuff into the lupo stuff and either remove the immob or stuff the clocks somewhere.

Exhaust, break out the welder and just modify the one which is on the mk4 now to slide along the tunnel.

Engine mounting, I'd fabricate something to go between the original arosa mount and the drop down bolts of the V5 engine, possibly using a 1.0 mount as a base.

Box side, I'd use some box section and fabricate something between the two bolts on the box and the original arosa item.

fling the battery in the boot so the shifter tower doesn't knock on the tray, mate the pas system together, should be pretty straight forward with regards to connections using arosa pipes.

As for shafts, fit mk3 100mm inner cv joints to whatever shafts you find lying around which will fit.

Brakes, just do discs at the back and 280 up front.

so i managed to get a bit more done on the lupo today, got the engine and box out and offered up the V5 and as i thought i have had to cut into the chassis leg.

engine is still sat on axle stands but managed to get the front end back on and lined up and the bonnetet even shuts :thumbup:

here a few photos of todays progress

14_zpspelndcpn.jpg

15_zps54xrtl6a.jpg

16_zpsgwxxxged.jpg

17_zps9374q2jr.jpg

18_zpspvbhmf16.jpg

19_zps383n5adk.jpg

20_zpswdnatbor.jpg

21_zpsemfs3yds.jpg

22_zpsisojipqg.jpg

23_zpsja92og5b.jpg

24_zpszlxuyq5j.jpg

25_zpsn0eesucw.jpg

the heat shield was taking a lot of room around the back of the engine so it was removed and the manifold was wrapped

26_zpshkbc0jbd.jpg

27_zps7zv6ab0o.jpg

28_zpsnof20ftk.jpg

29_zpsc8urpsfo.jpg

30_zpsib0apd77.jpg

31_zpsecnuvvek.jpg

32_zpsobsce5l0.jpg

33_zpspseuujqm.jpg

Why didn't you dent the passenger side leg to accept the top bit of the box rather than chopping into the box of the drivers ?

to get clearance on the sump and the diff on the sub frame the engine needs to be as far to the o/s as i can get and ill be putting a strut brace from the o/s suspension strut to the front of the leg and their wouldnt be room for this on the n/s

to get clearance on the sump and the diff on the sub frame the engine needs to be as far to the o/s as i can get and ill be putting a strut brace from the o/s suspension strut to the front of the leg and their wouldnt be room for this on the n/s

bit more done again today got all the mounts sorted other than having some aluminium spacers made (just used some steel tube for now) but its in ill let the photos do the talking

34_zpsiblg22wp.jpg

35_zpsxjm0t6dp.jpg

36_zpswklt9jmt.jpg

37_zps5qghholk.jpg

38_zpsyef2xfhl.jpg

39_zpsjdiovdm0.jpg

40_zps92frp2u4.jpg

41_zpso8j4npzn.jpg

42_zpsypvxcad7.jpg

43_zpsyuwgtbqo.jpg

45_zpsfo5okjat.jpg

48_zps1kth8qyk.jpg

49_zpsvie76dqz.jpg

50_zpspas6eia9.jpg

It's still quite a big lump isn't it.

yes not a lot of room left, the exhaust is going to be tight to get in but I'm pleased with the progress so far probably got around 20 hours labour in it so far

got chance to have a little play again today (wish these customers would stop bringing their cars in and let me build blink.png ) managed to sort out the gear linkage out and gave the engine bay a quick clean so i could seal the welds and prime ready for paint.

also got the pedals out the golf look like the cluthch pedal wil fit straight in and ill just have to modify the lupo pedal box but the accelorator might take a bit more jiggery pokery, ill let the pics say the rest

51_zpskh84igqu.jpg

52_zpsp2yxgmxm.jpg

53_zpsvfd4ogqt.jpg

54_zpsejpzvnjc.jpg

55_zpsjiuqpuuk.jpg

56_zpsil9dqmps.jpg

57_zpsvwenhzbd.jpg

58_zpszmozhb5j.jpg

59_zpsippjzv3a.jpg

60_zpsppmuqi4j.jpg

61_zpszbc44s1y.jpg

62_zpsh4a12ieq.jpg

63_zpsedyekazr.jpg

64_zpsabglcznv.jpg

65_zpsylifswvx.jpg

66_zpssxo8nja3.jpg

hopefuly i can get the clutch and accelorator pedals sorted tomorrow and then its onto driveshafts and wiring, think i need a beer biggrin.png

removed the steering columb so i could remove the pedal box, the complete clutch pedal from the golf bolts straight in just had to make a third mounting point for it even the pipe from the resevoir to the master cylinder fits then it was on to the accelerator pedal firstly i tried fitting the position sensor to the original lupo pedal but wasnt happy with the outcome so i made a bracket for the golf pedal to mount onto the lupo pedal box, and my new 2nd hand trim arrived with the golf seats fitted the light grey trim just looks out of place it needs a good clean before fitting though.

67_zps4usxmpyi.jpg

68_zpsw2zfzfnr.jpg

69_zps96ytmejx.jpg

70_zpsewqot6oi.jpg

71_zpsreeqtgxu.jpg

72_zpsqrlcuwlq.jpg

73_zpsuvqhbcdc.jpg

74_zpsz0iqcw7r.jpg

76_zpsgromxfna.jpg

77_zpsy48z3hst.jpg

78_zpsgfc7cr15.jpg

79_zps8dhxftqy.jpg

Engine stabaliser finished its actually made from a transit rear anti roll bar link

81_zpsg7mxr2fi.jpg

82_zpsrw9owcqb.jpg

83_zpsjbuwccug.jpg

84_zps0ts5wpjs.jpg

85_zps3vv9igi0.jpg

86_zpswqtii1ch.jpg

another small update, been very busy at work but managed to get the interior swapped over and it looks loads better also made a start on the drive shafts.

87_zps1fcx12is.jpg

88_zpsnohzvv82.jpg

89_zpseg9uzemn.jpg

90_zpsol7wnwtx.jpg

91_zpsbjfzjfoy.jpg

92_zpsgpifqev3.jpg

93_zpsckc0zg08.jpg

94_zpsjiobiolq.jpg

95_zpsdmui09qo.jpg