Tools needed for changing brake discs, pads and wheel bearings.

LowerclassLupo

Wheel bearings well...

You will IMO need a huge breaker bar and mariusz pudzianowski on hand. MUCH easier if you have a GOOD air or battery impact gun. It also needs a big multipoint socket I think it's like 32mm or something. Also a hub puller the one with legs may be needed. If it's just the kit then they will need to be pressed in too. So unless you have a press you will need someone to do that.

For brakes you need socket, ratchet, spanners too if possible. Hammer or rubber mallet and screwdriver. Drill if the retaining screw is gubbed which it will be. G clamp thing or caliper wind back tool. Bungie cord so you can hang your caliper. Copper grease. Pliers.

For the wheel bearings there's specific tools for the job, but they're all really expensive. You need a tool like this...

My local dealer charged £201.43 for a bearing replacement, the part cost half of that. Don't be fooled by the cheap bearings!

Edited by Mattz341

I was also pondering buying a Front wheel hub with bearing already in and doing the job myself but got put off with

all the talk suggesting it was not a diy job. Does anyone know if any of the Toll Hire shops rent hub removal tools?.

Also any suggestions on what else would be worth renewing when changing the hub?

By the way VMS (Bristol) sell Hub and Bearing set for about £80 - manufactured by FAG (Original).

Fair enough Dblock, in my mind they're not the kind of thing that should be "bodged" with the incorrect tools.

I don't mind paying dealer prices for things like this, at least it came with a 5 year warranty.

You can get hub/bearing pullers from eBay cheapest ones are under a tenner. I'm not going to pay that amount of money for a garage to do it, that probably are going to do it the same way.. Not every garage I've been to have hydraulic presses for wheel bearings but they manage to do it.

I will attempt to do it myself, if it works I've saved the extortionate £400 to change some wheel bearings and if not I'm back where I started.

Dblock if you could find out what you used, that'd be great.

The £400 included replacing all brake discs/pads too, just to clarify. The bearing change was about £100 all in. Actually turned out the noise I thought was the bearing was where my brake caliper or something had seized up and the brake was constantly engaged, they said they had quite a job getting the thing off! Bearing did need changing though as was picked up in the previous service....

If the bearings don't need changing then don't do them, brakes alone are easy.

If they do need changing and you want to do them on the cheap, just strip the hub off yourself and take it along with the bearing to a place with a press and negotiate for them to do it whilst you wait and pay them a minimal cash in hand amount,.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of buying the VidaXl bearing puller kit https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/p/210186/front-wheel-bearing-tool-audi-a1-a2-seat-ibiza-skoda-fabia-vw-fox-polo?gclid=CJKI8OX59cMCFQTJtAodb2sA8g cost £50 to remove the hub and bearing. The Audi a2 front bearing is the same one in my Lupo 1.4 Tdi.

I'm thinking of buying the VidaXl bearing puller kit https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/p/210186/front-wheel-bearing-tool-audi-a1-a2-seat-ibiza-skoda-fabia-vw-fox-polo?gclid=CJKI8OX59cMCFQTJtAodb2sA8g cost £50 to remove the hub and bearing. The Audi a2 front bearing is the same one in my Lupo 1.4 Tdi.

read price wrong. I read £90. It's an ok price.

You can get a bearing from ECP from like £13 and its just as good as an expensive SKF one, FAG and SKF both supply aerospace bearings so I'm sure they can make a tiny Lupo bearing right!

• 3 weeks later...

I got ready to change the bearings, got the car on axel stands got the heat gun, breaker bar and all tools at my side, went to undo the nut that holds on the bearing and it was finger tight... that was the cause of the noise. I torqued the nut up to 175nm which is what it should be and the noise has stopped. I'm going to check it again in a week or so. Hopefully that was all it needed.