How to get a meatier sound?

eBrooker

Something that sounds nice and bassy in the car - not too fussed on volume or trying to impress passers-by, just something that sounds and feels sporty inside the car.

A cherry bomb or 'pro' bomb worth getting?

Skezza suggested getting a straight pipe (£10), removing back box and welding it on (£20 ish) - will that give me the sort of sound I want? Any other options?

(I'm not bothered by improving performance, I think it's pretty nippy as it is.)

Straight pipes on a small car won't make it "meatier" Although mooing would. Generally I found found small engined cars rasp with decats and straight pipes. I quite like the noise personally but many don't.

Get a good quality exhaust and your set.

• Like 2

Every car is different so your sound would be slightly different.

Yes, very legal. More legal than any of the big cans like cherry bombs or scorpion exhausts. A straight pipe doesn't amplify sound, it merely allows the natural sound to escape via the tail pipe. Your back box, otherwise known as a muffler (hint hint) is designed to absorb sound. Big fat cans like cherry bombs amplify sound.

If you remove it, fit a straight pipe, you'll get a nice fruity sound that isn't too loud that the police are on you but is loud enough that you'll feel good about driving it. The one thing it won't do is make your car any faster, so it really is all for show.

Edited by Skezza
  • Like 1

Every car is different so your sound would be slightly different.

Yes, very legal. More legal than any of the big cans like cherry bombs or scorpion exhausts. A straight pipe doesn't amplify sound, it merely allows the natural sound to escape via the tail pipe. Your back box, otherwise known as a muffler (hint hint) is designed to absorb sound. Big fat cans like cherry bombs amplify sound.

If you remove it, fit a straight pipe, you'll get a nice fruity sound that isn't too loud that the police are on you but is loud enough that you'll feel good about driving it. The one thing it won't do is make your car any faster, so it really is all for show.

IMO an electric cut out would be ideal. But most cars, bar v8's need an exhaust to tune the sound. Basically well designed exhaust good sound. No exhaust loud but a mess of noise.

IMO an electric cut out would be ideal. But most cars, bar v8's need an exhaust to tune the sound. Basically well designed exhaust good sound. No exhaust loud but a mess of noise.

I do agree but I'm really talking about 1.0 Loops here. I wouldn't ever recommend a 20-pound straight pipe on an S2000 or something but I really don't see the point in spunking big money on a huge exhaust for a car with a tiny engine. If anything, I reckon a big can on a Loop would sound worse than a straight pipe because it would over amplify the farty 'no go' sound like your routinely hear on 3 cylinder Corsas. A straight pipe with a circumference the same as the stock exhaust will allow the raw engine sound to escape and I imagine will sound pretty fruity and quite nice.

It also costs a tenner in pipe and tenner/twenty in welding. I wouldn't do it intentionally but I'd happily recommend it over a new back box if it fell off.

I do agree but I'm really talking about 1.0 Loops here. I wouldn't ever recommend a 20-pound straight pipe on an S2000 or something but I really don't see the point in spunking big money on a huge exhaust for a car with a tiny engine. If anything, I reckon a big can on a Loop would sound worse than a straight pipe because it would over amplify the farty 'no go' sound like your routinely hear on 3 cylinder Corsas. A straight pipe with a circumference the same as the stock exhaust will allow the raw engine sound to escape and I imagine will sound pretty fruity and quite nice.

It also costs a tenner in pipe and tenner/twenty in welding. I wouldn't do it intentionally but I'd happily recommend it over a new back box if it fell off.

I get what your saying but I think it would sound crap and get old fast, where as if you spend more money for a good exhaust now. It won't annoy you and you can always take it off and sell it. Stainless steel will last forever.

I get what your saying but I think it would sound crap and get old fast, where as if you spend more money for a good exhaust now. It won't annoy you and you can always take it off and sell it. Stainless steel will last forever.

that's fair enough I suppose.