Lupo engine oil

eBrooker

Does anyone use high mileage oil? I've always just used normal oil. One car I had was burning oil so we just put some gearbox oil in and fenced it on.

What is high mileage oil?

Nice one.

As for high mileage, google provides.

More and more oil companies are coming out with "high mileage" oils, some recommended for engines with as few as 75,000 miles on them. So what is a "high mileage" oil you ask? Very generally speaking, these oils have two additives in them that are more suited to older engines. The first is normally a burnoff-inhibitor which helps prevent the oil from burning off if it gets past an engine seal into the combustion chamber. The second is a "seal conditioner", the exact makeup of which I'm not sure of, but it's designed to soak into seals such as head- and rocker-cover gaskets and force them to expand. Thus if one of the seals is a bit leaky, the seal conditioner will attempt to minimise the leak.

I've not had experience of high mileage oils myself, but a few people who've e-mailed me have passed on various tales from it being the miracle cure to it making no difference at all. I think the general rule-of-thumb though should be "if it 'aint broke, don't fix it." Just because your engine has over 75,000 miles on it, doesn't automatically mean you need high mileage oil. Is the exhaust sooty or smokey? Are you noticing oil leaks? Is the engine consuming oil? If your engine is working fine, the exhaust is clean and you're not noticing any problems, my guess is that it doesn't need high-mileage oil.

Hmm fair enough. Hardly gear oil. It needed 10-40 so we put 15-40 in it still worked great slightly less burning I think. Was along time ago. Also I don't know what fenced it on means but I assume you mean sold it? If so no it was a works car and a guy crashed it. It was going to be run into the ground. Wasn't blue smoke or anything.

I've used seal conditioner before interesting to know. I always thought it was a con but seems it can work.

might as well piss in it.

can't go wrong banging 10/40 in it.

I use Pd spec oil from Tps in the tdi, cheapest place to get oil/filter from.

5w40 better in winter. 10w40 better for summer.

Imo.

5w40 better in winter. 10w40 better for summer.

Imo.

How do you mean better?

One of my cars need 5w-30 but sometimes I use 5w-40.but more than anything for a PD it has to be 505.01. Or if you have other german cars MB229. or LL03or05 are more important than the grade of oil. But generally I use what it says to in the book.

How do you mean better?

One of my cars need 5w-30 but sometimes I use 5w-40.but more than anything for a PD it has to be 505.01. Or if you have other german cars MB229. or LL03or05 are more important than the grade of oil. But generally I use what it says to in the book.

5w40 has thinner oil viscosity lower end so better in the cold. 10w40 thicker lower viscosity so better in the summer, especially as it doesn't burn as quickly. Edited by Skezza

Ah get you but if your car isn't burning oil 5w-40 is fine plus it's easier to get in fully synth and 505.01.

What do you guys thing of engine oil flushes like forte etc. Junk or snake oil? I personally never used them on petrols as the oil has detergents anyways but diesels are dirty little things.

I recommend forte. I ran my car for 80 miles on it before dropping my old semi synthetic and it was pretty nasty.

I don't recommend cheap flush because they don't have any lubricating substance. They're often just pure ethanol. Forte still lubricates your engine. Save to drive with it in.