what would you replace? (lupo GTi)

dirk1978

Hi all.

My 2002 GTi is needing a few bits replaced I think as it's getting a bit tired in a few places. If anyone can advise on good parts or places to pick these things up or anything else I should be doing that'd be great thanks. It's done 111k

New clutch - new one coming from luk. Does it need the master cylinder replacing or is that only if it's failed?

Cambelt - new full kit with water pump coming from luk. Standard job to change? Any special tools?

Suspension - few bumps and rattles so I'm thinking may as well change all shocks and springs. Not bothered about lowering but if it's the same cost to get some coilies or decent kits then may as well. Any other bushes etc I should do?

Exhaust - prob needs a new exhaust. Held on by brackets at the moment. Any good aftermarket ones that look the part? Or is custom built the way to go?

Leads + plugs. Any other engine bits normally need replacing e.g. distributor, fuel filter etc?

I'll spend a day doing it myself once I've got the bits and post pics on here. Can't wait :-)

Cambelt. One thing I do know is it is a two belt system. Parts for me came to £250 including water pump, belts, tensioners etc.

As for tools to change it not sure.

Other bits to be changed every service, fuel filter, air filter and pollen filter.

Edited by lupo1.0se

If you are going to replace standard suspension for coilovers and want it to perform as well, you are going to need higher end coilovers.

I think even KW v1 Innox, which I have; and are argualbly the best for the GTI, are actually cheaper than a standard full replacement from VW.

Even at standard height, the KW coilover will perform better than the standard suspension set up as they are uprated springs and dampers. They are also stainless bodied so will look nicer and keep better. When I change mine I will change top mounts too.

Just stay away from the budget kits which not best performers.

May be worth looking for some major branded sports shocks and springs such as Bilstein.

30mm is not a lot of drop and will put your car where it should have been out of the factory. This kit gets a good rep.

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/car-parts/volkswagen/lupo/bilstein-30mm-b12-pro-lowering-springs-shocks-suspension-kit-lupo-10-14-14tdi-gti-16-17sdi-0998

That looks good cheers. I'm starting to realise that coilovers perhaps aren't what I'm looking for. That Bilstein kit looks nice but ouch on the price. I suppose it's a car worth doing right though.

I'd budgeted < £1000 to get it spruced up. The clutch and cam belt kit are about £200 of that. After £600 of suspension, it doesn't leave much room for an exhaust or other service items.

Perhaps I should just replace the bushes / wishbones and leave the suspension for when a component actually fails?

If it isn't broke then don't fix it.

Cambelt yes, the rest is just pointless.

You'll find that although bushes and things are cheap at ecp they don't last as long as decade old original ones.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread.

Still haven't got around to doing this stuff, now with 123k on it :o

Well, I paid to have the clutch done and had some new tyres when the last ones were showing thread on the inside but perfect on the outside. The fitter reckoned it was wishbones as they allow the wheel to move when accelerating, wearing the inside of the tyre. Sound reasonable?

16 hours ago, Rich said:

rear wishbone bushes are common to go.

fortunately it is six quid for the lemforder ones at euro.

hammer out/hammer in.

Ah sorry, I meant front wishbones. Missed vital info there. Are front wishbones common or is crazy inside tyre wear something else?

7 minutes ago, dirk1978 said:

Ah sorry, I meant front wishbones. Missed vital info there. Are front wishbones common or is crazy inside tyre wear something else?

Rich would have meant the rear bush on the front wishbone. There's two bushes on each one. 

There is no rear wishbone on a Lupo. 

Edited by cj1
  • Like 1

there are two bushes on the wishbone.

a front and a rear.

fronts never go, the rears go a fair bit on this generation of vag.

if you want to be creative about it, fit Audi Tt 8n ones.

this winter I am doing both bushes, a steering rack, ball joints and bearings up front on the gti.

• 2 months later...

Hi rich, 

As an arosa sdi owner I've been creeping in the back ground on this fantastic forum  for many years and have gleaned some wonderful knowledge. Why tt 8n bushes? Are they more durable? I need to do mine and just *cant accept replacing every couple of years for standard use. 

Cheers

Edited by Joshhert

the metal centre becomes unbonded from the rubber or they split.

I fitted a set of psb ones the other day on an A3. 

you could fit those yourself with no effort but I did have to fit the back fully and then I had to use a prybar to pop the fronts into place.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

the metal centre becomes unbonded from the rubber or they split.

I fitted a set of psb ones the other day on an A3. 

you could fit those yourself with no effort but I did have to fit the back fully and then I had to use a prybar to pop the fronts into place.

Cheers rich,

Can I pm you re bushes?