My GTi

bennyx_o

Possibly the longest wait from buying the car to posting a thread about it, but I figure it's about time I posted!

Bought it from GTi T on here back in April 2011. Had been looking at this for a while and eventually I had the money available so I bought it.
DSC00236Large.jpg
DSC00228Large.jpg
It has a couple of mods;
AP Coilovers
G60 Brakes
BMC Air Filter with cold air feed
Scorpion Cat-Back exhaust
Rear De-wiper
Compomotive MO 15x7 ET20 all round
Cambridge Rear Lights
Since then, I've not done much to it, except for maintenance. It needed a new drivers side trackrod end to pass it's first NCT.
After that, I spent quite a bit of time enjoying it. I had noticed one day while checking the oil that the HT lead on the first cylinder seemed to be loose so pushed it back down, and checked it a couple of days later and it had come loose again. I had thought nothing of it until one day coming home from work and I hear a pop and the car starts running like a bag of nails. I pulled over and noticed the HT lead had come off and the spark plug was sitting on the engine. Turns out the spark plug had been over tightened and the thread had stripped, so it went down to my mechanic for the thread to be repaired, and also had the valve guides and stem seals replaced and timing belt & water pump also.
Moved abroad again for 18 months and the car sat idle. When I moved back home I had to change the batter as the old one wasn't holding any charge. Because of this the airbag light came on, and the ABS light was on. I had lost interest and had no money, so I had the thought to sell the car so had it up for sale for a while with not a whole lot of interest (thankfully!). Instead, I found work here so set about getting the car back on the road. Took the car to a main dealer for an oil change, brake fluid change, pollen filter, aircon re-gassed and the identified a few other faults, so the car went to my mechanic again for a new ABS sensor and polybushed front end. After this, I bought a MK5 Golf GTi and have been using that as a daily since.
Some more pictures
2014-06-29172528_zpse33f5221.jpg
2014-06-29172606_zps6a2c14f0.jpg
IMG_20150124_1520581_zpse17c8328.jpg
IMG_20150124_1523011_zps5af5a1b6.jpg
IMG_20150124_1524061_zps73e8cefd.jpg
IMG_0021_zpsf263cbf8.jpg
IMG_0026_zps9e063119.jpg
Lupo hasn't been forgotten though, I do have plans for it, and today I got a delivery for it...
IMG_20150205_140609_zps0flpzs8k.jpg
Of course I opened them straight away..
IMG_20150205_142931_zpsgquibytg.jpg
And, being the impatient man I am, I had to test fit them
IMAG0138_zps6rtbmmzm.jpg
IMAG0139_zpsgae1kykx.jpg
IMAG0142_zpsleblsrqj.jpg
IMAG0143_zpsattmrph8.jpg
IMAG0145_zpstcdr5wr6.jpg
IMAG0146_zpsefpt3bqr.jpg
IMAG0144_zpsugsb5nd6.jpg
The rear seems to poke a little too much, but that should be easily sorted (I hope!)
The fronts are 7J ET27, and rears are 7.5J ET20. THey've been completed refurbed, new dishes & bolts also. I'm considering getting them powedercoated, had originally wanted gold, but now I'm thinking of an anthracite type colour. I'd nock something up in photoshop, but I wouldn't know where to start with it!
Hopefully there'll be a few other things completed before Dubshed.

Yea, the more I look at that picture, the more I think that a little camber and it'll sit just right. I'm also having strong urges to go the air route, and maybe the new wheels will be the straw that broke the camels back so to speak.

• 8 months later...

Haven't updated this in a while, but I still have the Lupo - no plans at all to get rid of it!

Treated it to a Polish yesterday, came out looking excellent, however it will get a respray at some point. Also need to take the OZs off for the winter as the drivers side rear is leaking air and I want to have the barrels painted a different colour.
12141587_896540320381955_302670083131920
12193830_896540203715300_225398795613555
12191798_896540233715297_113872540323063
12189970_896540457048608_905718432910927
12096199_896540360381951_466682420208734
12189737_896540400381947_527046067217624
12115880_896540433715277_514911539385058
Edited by bennyx_o

• 1 month later...

Another update. Car was due a service and was leaking coolant from somewhere so I took it down the the mechanic I used. Along with this, I asked for the brake fluid to be changed and for the drivers door lock to be replaced because the interior light, the 'lights on' buzzer and the remote central locking all weren't working.

It turns out the coolant leak was coming from the radiator, so I had a new one fitted, a new tie rod and tie rod end on the passenger side, and the other bits mentioned above. Delighted to have the car back, although the 'lights on' buzzer and remote central locking still don't work. Not too concerned about the buzzer, but the remote central locking is a bit of a pain. I think at this stage it's the CCM, which I hear is expensive. Also, when I open the boot and go to close it, it just bounces back so I think that lock could do with replacing too.

With that said, I still love the car after over 4 and a half years of ownership, and I have a few plans for the year ahead so hopefully they come to fruition! :) Will keep the thread updated if & when they happen

• 5 weeks later...

Things are moving along on the Lupo, and while I haven't done anything to it since my last post (or driven it much!) things will be changing soon! The Compomotives are in getting refurbed and should be ready today or tomorrow, then it's the OZ's turn, but this is where I'm looking for some assistance.

I was thinking of getting them done gold, but now I'm not so sure. Anyone any ideas or other suggestions? Anyone any good with photoshop that could knock up a few colours? At the moment I'm thinking a gold, white or a candy red. Will be updaing soon with some actual progress! 

55 minutes ago, bennyx_o said:

Things are moving along on the Lupo, and while I haven't done anything to it since my last post (or driven it much!) things will be changing soon! The Compomotives are in getting refurbed and should be ready today or tomorrow, then it's the OZ's turn, but this is where I'm looking for some assistance.

I was thinking of getting them done gold, but now I'm not so sure. Anyone any ideas or other suggestions? Anyone any good with photoshop that could knock up a few colours? At the moment I'm thinking a gold, white or a candy red. Will be updaing soon with some actual progress! 

Candy red would be really nice in my opinion. Black and red always goes well together. Gold would be nice too though... not sure on the white however. 

26 minutes ago, bennyx_o said:

Doubt I'll go white, alreay have the white Compomotives. The more I think of red the more I like the idea

yeah, good point. Red would look really nice and different in my opinion. 

Do a Google search for copper alloy wheels, think something like that would be far more interesting than a candy red. Although a nice  colour I think the red has been done to death. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another small update. Still undecided on the colour for the OZs, thinking of maybe shadow chrome or gold. Over the last week I've ordered the following for the car:

Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB & DAB antenna

Gladen RS165 speakers

Gladen 95.4 amp

Gladen SQX 8" sub

Hopefully having it fitted next weekend

• 2 weeks later...

Update time. The Gladen 95.4 amp was out of stock, so I went for a Mosconi 130.4 amp instead. Had the Head Unit fitted over the weekend:

2%201_zps6nzry2au.jpg

DAB Antenna & GPS receiver:

3%201_zps50wc6kj3.jpg

4_zpsvlq03zow.jpg

5_zpsblwepxn2.jpg

6_zpssmyqdrpm.jpg

7_zpsm1h8wzfg.jpg

Few issues with the head unit that need sorted - won't allow me to accept the terms for the navigation, and the andbrake sensor doesn;t seem to be working, so I can't connect to Android Auto. Other than that, It's great! WIll be going back to have issues sorted and have the speakers and a small boot build completed.

Also collected my Compomotives after being refurbed, & have decided on a colour for the OZs. All in all, small progress is starting to happen!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice GTi! Black really suits GTis,m especially when they shine like this one!

Try putting the handbrake wire into the negative on the radio, that's what I did with mine, also lets you play DVD's whilst on the move, though I don't on mine as its very illegal!