Ex Fast Car Lupo on Ebay

eBrooker

Not mine so posting here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161571414988?_trksid=p5039.m570.l4455&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI161571414988.N7.S1.M292.R2.TR5

Currently at £940 and a few hours to go. I almost bought it when it was listed for £2k (offered him £1400 but he would't take it)

If you're interested, you might get lucky!

The interior is ok but the rest isn't great IMO. Also it doesn't jump out at me being mint or well cared for. I'm possibly wrong but usually cars like this you can tell they are cared for but I don't get that feeling with this one.

The interior is ok but the rest isn't great IMO. Also it doesn't jump out at me being mint or well cared for. I'm possibly wrong but usually cars like this you can tell they are cared for but I don't get that feeling with this one.

Heh. Thought exactly the same when I first looked at it. It's a ****ing turd, quite clearly.

It really looks like it's been driven hard and the owner has, how shall we say, done everything on the cheap to keep it going. That's fine when your plan is to keep the car, but it's when you come to sell it that you'll soon be found out. Why am I not surprised that he's put "no timewasters"? Because the last buyer probably turned up, looked underneath saw the leaking rear shock absorbers and all the rest of the demons that potentially lie within this vehicle.

In particular, I wonder about that no-so-subtle stickerbombing under the fuel filler. Has he stickerbombed it because all the 'kewl kidzz' on the Internetz told him too? Or has he done it to cover up the fact he's reversed into a lamp post one night after a beer with his friends? Stickerbombing has become the cheap way of patching up your car. Again, fine if you are intending on keeping it, but don't go spouting on eBay about how special this car is.

I mean, just look at the photos, the bodywork is a pretty **** all around really. It looks like the front splitter, under skirt thing has been dragged on the floor which is why it's curling. There look to be some sort of crease in the back bumper which I'm unsure exactly what it is but is noticeable from the photos. The whole thing's a ****ing mess really.

At the end of the day, to summarize, or more to the point translate his ad to English, it's an X reg Lupo with high miles with a set of obnoxious alloys, a Nintendo steering wheel, and fairly tired set of leather seats with pretty poor bodywork. Oh but don't worry, I chucked in a £60 Blackpool illuminations stereo, so get out your credit cards people and form an orderly queue.

No thanks.

Rather than buying this **** heap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-LUPO-1-0-5-SPEED-3-DOOR-A-REAL-BARGAIN-/121559981357?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c4d8a1d2d

Is a far better option, with more potential, lower miles and a better colour :) Yes, worse condition but then it's not top money. Plenty of potential and a thousand pounds for a ratty green Lupo is poor.

Edited by Skezza

+1. Skezza from what I know although I could be wrong is stickerbombing was designed to hide damaged or rusted panels. First started with drifters and then people started to copy but I agree is that a style he has chosen or is it cracked?

Max I would have paid is £1400... but after reading this thread I wouldn't have bothered, lol.

it's a high mileage pov spec. Worth about 600.

One thing I just don't get, is looking at the list of mods made, none at all actually improve the car. In a nutshell, all they did is superficially change the looks. It is still a poverty spec machine with a few bling bling addons. Personally, I'd rather buy that black 1.0 base car Skezza mentioned, keep it looking the same and spend some money doing proper mods- engine swap, gearbox ratio changes, suspension with adjustable shocks (not ride height), tyres, steering rack ratio....

Keep it looking the same but by god, make it really go...You can't beat a sleeper. The worst thing is to have a car that looks fast but, er, isn't.

One thing I just don't get, is looking at the list of mods made, none at all actually improve the car. In a nutshell, all they did is superficially change the looks. It is still a poverty spec machine with a few bling bling addons. Personally, I'd rather buy that black 1.0 base car Skezza mentioned, keep it looking the same and spend some money doing proper mods- engine swap, gearbox ratio changes, suspension with adjustable shocks (not ride height), tyres, steering rack ratio....

Keep it looking the same but by god, make it really go...You can't beat a sleeper. The worst thing is to have a car that looks fast but, er, isn't.

So a 3 cylinder Corsa with a big exhaust then.... oh wait, they don't even look fast.

I've only just seen the skull and cross bone headlining. Tragic.

It is horrible! IIRC fast car brought it as a beat up car to fix up and modify as a cheap first car for some feature they where doing, it was never a staff car

There's one glaring conclusion that I think we can all agree on.... Modifying your car that only changes the looks WILL lose you money. What you think is good, someone else might not.

Ask yourself this question-

If you were buying a car, would you rather buy a stock genuine motor that has been looked after by a garage, or buy a motor that has been bling'd up by some uneducated numpty.

Or buy a car from the person who modd'd it and can demonstrate that they know what they're talking about. Although even that is questionable!

Apologies for my rant, as I'm just fedup of putting right 'alterations' on people's motors, where, whoever did it really had no mechanical knowledge at all. Over or undertorqued bolts, wires twisted together, cable ties instead of proper mountings, LED lights fitted, dodgy exhausts, glue or silicone instead of clips......

Well this thread has proved to be very informative - thanks!

Got me a little worried about my own Lupo tho! Its done 95K :(

However having said that, I love how it drives, pulls in every gear! I took my mate for a quick spin and he was impressed! (He used to have a civic type R).

I'll try and post a thread up to see what you all think soon...

Well this thread has proved to be very informative - thanks!

Got me a little worried about my own Lupo tho! Its done 95K :(

However having said that, I love how it drives, pulls in every gear! I took my mate for a quick spin and he was impressed! (He used to have a civic type R).

I'll try and post a thread up to see what you all think soon...

Mileage is a number. It's only that, but the car in the eBay listing has been driven hard. It just has that look (certain marks on the bumpers etc). These all lead me to believe it's had a rough rough life.

Yours may be fine. Mileage is only a number, like I said and if serviced regularly, and maintained alright, these cars can last for ages, even the petrol models.

Thanks mate. I hope you're right and mine is ok.

I need to learn how to service my car properly - are there any threads here that have info on that? Are things like oil changes easy enough to do?

You can add that to the other idea I just gave you via PM hehe.

True but daunting if you have no idea where to start.

Also why would anyone from "fast" car have a 1l?! I mean gti or sport at least! Is max power still around?

I really don't think speed has anything to do with it. It's just marketing to kids

True but daunting if you have no idea where to start.

Also why would anyone from "fast" car have a 1l?! I mean gti or sport at least! Is max power still around?

It's a case of getting a car accessible to young people and cramming it full of their sponsors items, in the hope that all the kids will spend loads of money buying their sponsors items.

Max Power died years ago now, as did Revs and (unfortunately) Redline, as that became a decent mag about performance tuning.

Just to add though, that Lupo is a pile of ****! Just look how they've painted the plastic lower front bumber for a start!

It's a case of getting a car accessible to young people and cramming it full of their sponsors items, in the hope that all the kids will spend loads of money buying their sponsors items.

Max Power died years ago now, as did Revs and (unfortunately) Redline, as that became a decent mag about performance tuning.

Just to add though, that Lupo is a pile of ****! Just look how they've painted the plastic lower front bumber for a start!

I'm still convinced it's brush painted but I didn't want to jump the gun :D

IIRC the Green Lupo was used as a project to show new car owners how they could modify their cars on a tight budget.

Therefore the work carried out isn't going to be top notch and the car "should be" a reflection of most home grown budget; early learner, cars.

It wasn't intended as a high cost show car.

To be honest, many cars in the show field at Edition have the same issues as this Lupo. Rough edges, imperfect finishings etc. and should be in the Club Stands as opposed to the Show Field, but hey, everyone wants to be a rockstar!

And this in my opinion has been the death of the Club Stands at Edition.

...and Edition aren't going to say no to an extra £5 from your wallet.

IIRC the Green Lupo was used as a project to show new car owners how they could modify their cars on a tight budget.

Therefore the work carried out isn't going to be top notch and the car "should be" a reflection of most home grown budget; early learner, cars.

It wasn't intended as a high cost show car.

To be honest, many cars in the show field at Edition have the same issues as this Lupo. Rough edges, imperfect finishings etc. and should be in the Club Stands as opposed to the Show Field, but hey, everyone wants to be a rockstar!

And this in my opinion has been the death of the Club Stands at Edition.

...and Edition aren't going to say no to an extra £5 from your wallet.

If the car was marketed that way I think he might get more money as that's honest.