Loop is stuttering

Guys, my car starting to stutter/hiccups up to 2k rpms, in all gears. There is no error or any other symptom. Tried changing the gasoline, but still does it - no matter if it's cold or warm engine.

Anyone experienced this before?

Dany, sounds like plugs are on the way out to me so I'd start there. If changing your plugs helps you'll want to change your leads fairly soon as well.

Could also be coil pack but I always start with the above.

I suggest getting a cheap OBD2 scanner. They are now less than £10 and really should be in everyone's dash in case you develop a fault :)

My GTI was doing this for a while, above 2k rpm it was fine. I found I had an HT lead with a break in the insulation on cylinder 4, so it was arcing on the cylinder head. Swapped it over and been fine since.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Struggling to see how that would fix it to be honest? Unless the problems we have arnt the same...

Anyway, I'll keep using this thread and hopefully more advice can be given as I've still got the same issue and if anything it seems to be worse.

I've just replaced coilpack and it's made no real difference. The old coilpack did have a small crack down the middle back of it though...

So current symptoms are:
Fine in 1st gear mostly, sometimes judders/stutters like it's bogging down when I get biting point and go to take off. In 2nd gear onwards it judders, drops power, doesn't rev, bogs down (feeling) from 1-3K revs. If you give 1/2 throttle or more.... If you're further up the revs to start with, say 2K onwards it doesn't do it really, just flies through the 'power band'. Earlier today in 3rd, low revs (<2K) it was stuttering and misfiring - popping noise from exhaust engine. It was also doing this in neutral (no load on engine) when letting the revs die down then rev'ing full throttle.

I also got the following fault codes come up on friday after the juddering and lack of power issue (had a few EML lights appear then disappear);IMG_20150213_154136_zpsb4ywcfrj.jpg

So yeah, people still thinking leads? Or possibly now injectors?

Well, would be nice to get a reply...

Update anyway - earlier the car was awful, stuttering, misfiring, dropping power, EML light coming on and off. Then eventually the EML light just stayed on permanently.

Read the fault codes again but instead of them being "Pending Faults" they were "Current Faults" - it's not the greatest diagnostic tool I know but its still telling me something is up with cylinders 1 & 2.

Making me sad, the car being ill.

Change the leads if our feeling flush or I'm not sure about the gti's coilpack or leads. But if you can swap the leads on 1-4 and 2-3. But obviously so you keep the firing order the same then if you get misfire on the 3-4 cylinder instead of 1-2 then you know it's the leads. If not then you know it's not the leads.

• Like 1

Mines started misfiring, done all the obvious with new coil pack, plugs and my spare leads. Was fine for a few days and is misfiring again. Scanning it on vcds it shows cylinder number 4 injector malfunction which is annoying! It did initially clear off and then run ok for 5-10 minutes then start to misfire again and the same fault come up. Looks like I need a new injector!

• Like 1

£20 each!! Then try as I said to make sure it is or not. If you have then replace coil pack, leads, plugs then it's an engine, ecu or injector problem IMO.

Only Issue I forsee with this is that as each Lead is length specific, they wont reach when swapping them around.

Mine's back with stuttering too!

Ah bummer man, didn't think the thermostat would fix it though.

Mines currently in a garage as they have better diagnostic equipment than me!

I did get a call suggesting it could be a headgasket on the way out due to finding some evidence that coolant was mixing in the chamber but I'm not convinced...yet. Never overheated or had to top up coolant. They can recreate the misfiring or stuttering yet either so it's with them for a little longer after me explaining exactly when I was seeing it.

I'll report back!

Live near another gti owner?

Not that I know, barely see them on the road as it is!

Do you have vagcom? If not that would have been a better investment of money than giving it to the garage.

I do not but I was using that Torque app which seemed alright...

Anyway got a call from the garage today "You're gonna kick yourself..."

HT Leads.

So you were all right and I'll get my coat, haha.