1.0 to 1.4TDi

Hi guys, first of all if there is a thread on this already let me know, I looked but no joy.

As per title I currently own a 1L 2000 lupo, due to the amount of driving I do the 1L isn't going to be practical in the long term, so I want to swap it's little petrol stove for the 1.4 TDi diesel.

Why not just buy a TDi? I love the colour of my Lupo, and it has an exceptionally clean body, I want to keep it and I'd like a project. I have a garage at home, and a mechanic, so I won't be paying someone to do this conversion.

I just have some questions and any help is appreciated.

The AMF 1.4 TDi engine can can be found in Lupos/Polos/arosa's from 2000-2004, am I correct in assuming an engine from any of these will fit into the Lupo ?

It will be nearly impossible to find a 1.4 diesel lupo or arosa in ireland 9 may have more luck in the North), so Im pinning my hopes on finding one in a polo.

In my mind what I'll need will be the engine, ecu and its gearbox, and just swap whats in the lupo out and replace it with the diesel running gear. Ideally I'd like to find a crashed doner, stip both cars down and just swap stuff over. Aside from the difficulty I'm going to have finding said doner is there complicated bits that I'm over looking?

Like I said any help is appreciated, my knowledge base is mainly centered around old rusty Golfs, with fairly basic mechanics/electronics, not Lupos!

Cheers,

laura

• Like 1

im selling a lupo tdi at present for 500 as a have a new car and need a quick sale. 110k mile remapped coilovers and a 500 pound powerflow exhaust

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/100182-red-lupo-tdi-500-pound-if-gone-this-week/

Edited by liam7200

Rich I'll send you a pm, hopefully I can motivate you ha!

Thanks Liam7200 but as your in Manchester and I'm in Ireland your little loop is no good to me I'm afraid. Thanks all the same :)

Awkward-Unique.gif

But seriously I'd get a tdi. I know you don't want to etc etc but if your going through the hassle to fit a 1.4tdi why not fit a 1.9tdi. It will be harder but there is more gain.

But if you bought a 1.4tdi your sorted. Plus 1.4tdis got remote central locking, electric windows etc etc.

I just re-read and if it's a project that is cool but it's so much hassle for little gain.

I bought a car from N.I. I know thats not where your from but we just ferried it across. Cars are cheaper over here from what I can tell.

I just re-read and if it's a project that is cool but it's so much hassle for little gain.

I bought a car from N.I. I know thats not where your from but we just ferried it across. Cars are cheaper over here from what I can tell.

Hey there :)

I would usually agree with you - don't build what you can buy, but in this case I can't buy it. I'd have to go to the north for a TDi Lupo, and I wouldn't be able to justify the cost of purchasing in sterling and vrt'ing it. Plus as I've said I have a very clean Loop as it stands in a great colour, it was hard enough to find a decent 1.0L, I won't be parting with it.

With regard to the 1.9 diesel swap, I think its a big heavy engine to put in a Lupo, and a more complicated swap. Also once I've done the conversion I'll be getting it offically declared as a 1.4 on its log book and an engineers report, so I'll be taxing and insuring it as a 1.4. If I was to do that with a 1.9 my tax would be close on E700 a year ( £500+ ), another cost I couldn't afford. I intend to remap it which from research should leave me with 100bhp in a very small car, plenty for me anyway.

I don't see the swap as hassle at all, I've been like a kid at Christmas since I thought of it :)

You'll almost certainly need a donor. There will be loads to swap, not just engine/gearbox/ECU but stuff like the hubs, driveshafts, pedal box, slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch, fuel tank/pump/pipes, clocks, etc...

• Like 1

You'll almost certainly need a donor. There will be loads to swap, not just engine/gearbox/ECU but stuff like the hubs, driveshafts, pedal box, slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch, fuel tank/pump/pipes, clocks, etc...

Cheers, this is the kind of info I'm looking for!

How compatible is the 6N2 Polo with the above in mind, ( fuel tank, driveshafts etc). They pop up a lot more, and I have spotted one online, possible too good to break, but I have my eye on it non the less.

If your excited about it then that's good. I agree a donor is ideal. I know the 6n polo is a lot like the lupo but Rich is your man for most things. But if the engine and ecu fit everything else is cheapish to source.

I think tdi's have bigger discs are the front too and you might need to change the suspension again I'm not sure.

If your excited about it then that's good. I agree a donor is ideal. I know the 6n polo is a lot like the lupo but Rich is your man for most things. But if the engine and ecu fit everything else is cheapish to source.

I think tdi's have bigger discs are the front too and you might need to change the suspension again I'm not sure.

I'm going to gather as much info as I can before I start, and hopefully Rich will provide me with some pointers.

If it all comes off it'll be well documented in my members thread, which will be handy for anybody else thinking of doing the same :)

Okay, the only real way to do this is to buy a Lupo tdi.

There's no way around it, you can use quite a lot of the 6n2 **** but the shafts are longer, the loom isn't 100%.

engine/box are the same but that's about it.

converting a standard lupo over is similar to doing a gti conversion, same amount of intricate work.

You need to change the pedalbox to hydro.

gear selector mech to cable.

subframe needs changing for the box to mount.

That's just off the top of my head but you get an idea for the amount of reshelling involved.

• Like 1

Okay, the only real way to do this is to buy a Lupo tdi.

There's no way around it, you can use quite a lot of the 6n2 **** but the shafts are longer, the loom isn't 100%.

engine/box are the same but that's about it.

converting a standard lupo over is similar to doing a gti conversion, same amount of intricate work.

You need to change the pedalbox to hydro.

gear selector mech to cable.

subframe needs changing for the box to mount.

That's just off the top of my head but you get an idea for the amount of reshelling involved.

Ah, thats a pity as a polo would be easier to find, but no harm. I'm assuming a TDi Arosa ( the mk2 model, not the older one) would do fine also?